New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 Sound problem

I have a brand new ASUS desktop with Windows 8. I have sound when using Skype but not when using Internet Explorer. Any ideas? Probably a setting but I've checked all the ones I can find.

Is there a logical order to all the checks that might help me identify a solution?

Many thanks.

Thanks
    Hi June, welcome to the Lounge.

Which websites are failing to play sounds in IE?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Right, can I clarify a few things - apologies for not explaining properly. I have a desktop with an external screen connected by HDMI cable. When using Skype, I am using an external camera with mike plugged directly into the desktop - that works - sound - no problem.

When I go onto the internet I have no sound using the HDMI cable. I checked various settings and did a test on the speaker - they worked.

So, I just removed the HDMI cable and plugged in the old style blue ended cable plus a green ended (sound?) cable like you find on a headset and the sound worked - both on internet and playing CD. So, I have found a work around but surely, the HDMI cable on it's own should work? It works when I use Skype - so why not when I want to do other stuff.

As you can probably guess, I am not technically minded. Appreciate any hints you might be able to give to analyse why it doesn't work as I expect.

Thanks
    Whenever I wanted to connect my PC to the TV (external screen) using HDMI I also had to use a separate sound cable. I suspect it's a driver issue with the PC not having the proper sound drivers for the TV. Since I do not do this often I have not investigated further.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I suspect that you will need to modify the sound Devices so that the HDMI device is set as the default. I don't use W8 so I'll suggest some random site http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...6-0e57b8861baf

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help. Glad I am not the only one with this... thought it was probably something I had done. I'll have a look at the website now. Again, thank you for your help guys.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Totally brilliant - it works!!!! Control panel - Manage audio devices, select HDMI output. Thank you.

Thanks
    Nice work