New Lounger
    Thanks

compaq xp cannot be installed on aother machine

This just to verify what I have learned reading other threads.
    I replaced the motherboard and cpu on my Comapq system.
    When I try to start XP I can only get into Safe Mode without network support.
    If I try to do a restore from the CD ROM, I get an error message stating that "this is not the correct Compaq computer".
    Which does make sense.
    HP informed me that they cannot help as the machine is obsolete.
    So, my conclusion is that the only option that I have is to buy a copy of XP and install it.
    Any recommendations as to where to buy a copy of XP Home edition?

Thanks
    You don't need to purchase another copy of XP; you just need to find the exact same version of XP, and install it. Then use the activation key that came with your computer.

There are places you can go to download Windows for free. I don't have that info, but people have posted that info in other postings here at Windows Secrets forums.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're getting into safe mode, what happens in regular boot? Blue Screen? If so, it's probably just one or two drivers that where in place on the old mobo/setup that are preventing normal boot. I would boot into the safe mode Administrator's account and remove/uninstall any third party devices from the device manager and disable non-Microsoft services in Msconfig.

If you weren't close you wouldn't be able to boot into safe mode. Once the fatal crash drivers were out of the picture and you can boot normally, its a breeze to install the proper drivers provided they are available.

I think a new install of XP will only succeed because it's not sticking in whatever driver(s) are causing the Bluescreen now; so if you can prevent that/those drivers from loading...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    You don't need to purchase another copy of XP; you just need to find the exact same version of XP, and install it. Then use the activation key that came with your computer.

There are places you can go to download Windows for free. I don't have that info, but people have posted that info in other postings here at Windows Secrets forums.
    I know of no legal site that has free XP downloads. There is a Digital River site that has copies of Windows 7 available for download if you have a legal key. If I remember right, OEM XP keys do not work with retail copies of XP.

If you replaced the motherboard with a non Compaq motherboard, then you are right - you need a new retail copy of XP. If its a Compaq motherboard, you might find this of assistance:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...cname=bph07143'

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I think that mentioned above is true as well but as I've said, sounds like you are very close on what is already installed and if you got that going and if Microsoft cares in the least at this point about activation of XP on an older system, you would just explain to them exactly what occurred, that there was a problem with the motherboard that required replacement. If it's a license that hasn't been reactivated in many years though, can't imagine Microsoft caring in the least because that would cost them time and resources to sort it; same as HP no longer giving a hoot because it only costs them as well. Depend on the pragmatism of a capitalist endeavor.

Thanks
    Giving eBay or Craig's List a look might be worthwhile. I'm sure there are many people out there looking to offload.

See if you can get yourself a genuine XP SP3 disk of either Home or Professional.
    Despite your Comapq system being old and "obsolete" you should still be able to get drivers from the site. If not,
    you should be able to pull them from the old OEM disk you have.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Having no idea of just where you are..... I can't recommend anyone local to you, but any PC shop that's been in business any time at all should have copies of every OS since the Mayflower landed. I sure do.

The original XP put on by Compaq, was keyed to only run on a Compaq motherboard. That's the way it works. There's nothing you can do about that.

You do need to save all your data files off of that old HD though. Installing a new version of XP will most likely erase the disk.

I've done what you need to do, several times here in the past decade or more and saving the data is always my first priority.

If you're in Central Florida, come on over and I'll fix it for you.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you do find a disk that works you may want to try a non-destructive repair first. This removes all service packs but leaves the installed programs intact. Once up and running you just re-install the 3,000,000 patches...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My thanks to all who replied to my thread.
    Again it was to verify what I already found out and that is that the restore will only work on the original Compaq machine.
    Luckily I found SoftwareSpeedy that still sells XP.
    Again thanks to all.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To digress a little, I encountered the same problem years ago, but my Compaq came with both the restore CD and an OEM copy of XP. They produce different installations. The restore CD won't install on a non-compaq, and the OEM XP won't do a repair install on the proprietary installation.

That begs the question of whether or not you really needed to buy another copy. I remember MS at some point in the past having a hardware change scheme that could result in activation requiring a call for approval. Does the MB change pass their criteria? I don't know. It's too bad though, that you didn't get a copy of XP to see.