New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 - Now my pc won't "see" my printer.

It worked yesterday but today it decided not to.

I have a new ASUS desktop with Windows 8 and an HP Photosmart printer. The printer is supposed to be wireless but we've never managed to get that part of the HP to work on any of our computers - our previous pc or our laptops.

Yesterday I connected up the ASUS and printer.... I managed to print and scan from the pc. It wouldn't scan from the printer - said to try from the pc.

This afternoon I printed an attachment from an email application and then (after signing the document) tried to scan it. Still wouldn't scan from the printer so I tried from the pc and it said - no device. After trying various things I decided to remove the device and then reboot with it attached - but it didn't find it. I then tried to add a device - but it didn't find it.

Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried a different USB port?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Tried - didn't work. So re-downloaded drivers (same as I did when I installed it yesterday as our drivers were old ones) and rebooted - it worked. I was able to print. I give up - nothing logical about that....

However, thanks for the idea - who knows, maybe that was the problem! Not going to change back to the other port now.... Now to try scanning...

Many thanks,
    Last edited by JuneSB; 2013-05-01 at 10:01. Reason: Forgot to click on thanks!

Thanks
    It seems my printer connects wirelessly with my PC until I shut the printer off, then it looses the wireless connection. I am unsure why. Eventually I will get some time to figure it out. In the mean time, to connect wirelessly I have to reinstall the printer drivers. When I was using Win 7, I never could connect wirelessly so this is a step in the right direction. I believe in my case the problem is the printer, not Win 8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy