Thanks

New W7 pro PC, how to use my old scanner in XP mode?

No win 7 drivers listed for my old HP scanner, so I need to know how to use it in XP mode?

Thanks
    Have you tried using the scanner in Windows 7? Many devices have the drivers included with Windows 7.

Even though you don't have the HP software installed, you can scan from other programs. For example, Irfanview. You will tell Irfanview to "acquire" the image; you will then choose the scanner. (Pick the "twain" option, if it is available.)

Or, you may have a scan button on the scanner. Press that button, and it will trigger the scan function in Windows.

If none of that works, try doing a Windows Update. Check for the "optional" (hardware) updates. There may be a driver listed for your scanner. If so, install that one update and see if the scanner works.

If none of this results in success, then load XP Mode and see if the scanner will work. If it doesn't work, you may be able to install the driver in your XP Mode session and get it to work that way.

If you can get it to work in XP mode, then you'll need to open your XP Mode session and scan from there whenever you want to scan something.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Whatever device it is needs to have a USB interface because that's the only type of port that can be "captured" by the VM. Also the host has to recognize the device as...something; even if its just unknown device, so the port/device will be made available to the VM for capture.

Then its just a matter of installing the software in the VM and capturing the port (using the VM software program menu) when it asks you to plug in the device.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jag,

HP's notorious for nor updating drivers; it's their way of getting you to buy a new scanner. OTOH, I has a similar problem wit an old Epson USB scanner when I went to W7 3-4 years ago. I could have bought a $40 universal driver listed on majorgeeks.com, but a new scanner for only slightly more scanned at much better resolution than the old scanner (9600 vs. 1200).

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2013-05-03 at 11:30.

Thanks
    Does win 7 pro come with the XP mode _____or do I need a 'how to' to get it on-board??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You must download and install it. See Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7. Ignore the section about hardware virtualization being required. It was initially but not now.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem with my HP all in one scanner/printer. The scanning software suite would not install and run correctly, however it had worked fine in windows XP. The solution for me was to install the free VMware Player on my Win7 PC (Win7 Home Premium). Then, open the VM Ware Player and install a valid version of WinXP. From there, I could install the HP scanning program and it works just fine. By sharing the My documents folder between the XP in VM Ware and the same My docs folder on win7 I can gain full use of my HP scanner thru VM Ware and then revert to Win7 to use the scanned files. No need to buy the more expensive Win7 Ultimate and pay extra to have win XP on my PC.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Best way is to use Vuescan by Hamrick software - you can check to see if they support your scanner - best of all they have 32 and d64 bit versions. Have been using it forever on my Nikon Coolscan, HP, and Epson scanners.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Jag,

HP's notorious for nor updating drivers; it's their way of getting you to buy a new scanner. OTOH, I has a similar problem wit an old Epson USB scanner when I went to W7 3-4 years ago. I could have bought a $40 universal driver listed on majorgeeks.com, but a new scanner for only slightly more scanned at much better resolution than the old scanner (9600 vs. 1200).

Zig
    I agree. You can usually find a decent printer/scanner/copier at walmart.com for around $30. I've bought both an HP and a Canon at that price, and both had excellent scan and print quality.