5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restoring SSDs from non-SSD image backups

LANGALIST PLUS

Restoring SSDs from non-SSD image backups

By Fred Langa

A reader's drive-imaging tool fails to restore his solid-state drive's image backups, leading to wider questions about SSD imaging and restoration. Plus: Getting rid of cinemanowsvc.exe, making a browser toolbar persistent, and a free tool to bypass some of Win8's worst annoyances.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/restoring-SSDs-from-non-ssd-image-backups/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Indeed, time for Andy to get a better rock.

This one passage though, does Fred still stand behind the following statement? I know he found no significant performance differences but isn't alignment on an SSD more for longevity of the drive? It remains one of my primary concerns with SSDs;

Acronis’s information is correct, as far as it goes. Data alignment is a serious concern on mechanical drives. But as discussed in the Oct. 4, 2012, LangaList Plus article, “Drive alignment and solid-state drives,” data misalignment on SSDs has no real consequence to overall system performance. Practically speaking, it’s not something SSD users need be concerned with.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    This one passage though, does Fred still stand behind the following statement? I know he found no significant performance differences but isn't alignment on an SSD more for longevity of the drive? It remains one of my primary concerns with SSDs;
    Your concern is legitimate and I corrected Fred on this point in a response (in http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...d-state-drives - perhaps he missed it) to the article of last October which he linked to.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ref: "If you're using Vista, Win7, or Win8, why not use the built-in, known-good imaging tool? You already paid for it!"
    I don't think Win8 has an imaging tool. I thought that was removed from Win8. My research shows: "There’s been a major philosophical change in Windows 8. You can no longer create full system images, nor can you back up everything on your hard drive. Instead, you can only back up files in your libraries, files on your desktop, your contacts, and your browser favorites."

Thanks
    Windows 8 still has a built in imaging tool. They just made it hard to find. See:
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...-recovery/7464

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Windows 8 still has a built in imaging tool. They just made it hard to find. See:
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...-recovery/7464

Jerry
    Why does MS do this? Grrrrr...... Thanks- I was not aware of this!

Thanks
    Well, without the aggravation or having to use a System Repair disk to perform restorations, there are two free programs which do just fine with SSDs and HDDs:

Macrium Reflect (Here, the paid version is more flexible)

EasUS ToDo.

Both can handle SSD restorations from conventional spinning platter drives.

Ref.: This thread at Tom's Hardware Forums.
    -- Bob Primak --