New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows explorer problem

I am using W7 64 bit and a problem has developed in Windows Explorer.
    When I right click on a folder in the left pane (see attachement) and select properties or any other option, I get a message saying WE has stopped working and is looking for a solution. Then another message comes up saying "A problem" caused the program to stop working correctly. WE then closes.

Can anyone shed light on this "problem" and tell me how to fix it, if possible without reinstalling windows.

As a side effect, I have tried doing system restore but every restore point fails because a file is misssing. I have run many restore points, all when offline and with virus checkers disabled but can't restore anything.

PS if I rightclick on any item in the righthand pane, everything works correctly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by khesan; 2013-05-01 at 20:19. Reason: add PS

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    See if any of the ideas here help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2694911?wa=wsignin1.0

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank Jerry, I have previously followed most of these ideas. I have updated all drivers, checked for viruses, malware etc.

When I start in Safe mode, whether I right OR left click on an item in the left pane, I get the problem still.

I think the problem started after I put a USB stick in which " went bad". I was unable to read the USB stick at all. It had "Data Traveller" software on it that was to be used for reading/writing to the stick but I had never used that. I suspect this software became corrupt and prevented the stick from being used at all. After that I had trouble with the USB slot I had used and reloaded the USB driver which fixed that problem. But As I said, I think the WE problem first occurred after this.

Thanks
    Did you run SFC /scannow as suggested in the article?

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes and that did not show any problems

Administrator
    Thanks
    With Windows Explorer often a context menu entry is the culprit. See Context Menu Editor for Windows 7 & Vista Released. Be sure to create a restore point before removing context menu items.

Joe