Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm.
    Tried the burned disc with the RT packaged with the database.
    I almost worked... But then again it asked for 25-key license code, and it went into the old loop again.
    <sigh>

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTechCoach View Post
    Yes, I have seen it with the Home and Student. As far as I know this is try of all version of Office 2010 that do not include a license for Access.

FWIW: I have tried the built in Package and deployment wizard. It just has to many issues and limitations. If you do use it, I find it best to make two packages. One with the Runtime and one without. It is very important that you do NOT install the Access Runtime on a machine that already has the Full version installed.

I have written some articles that may help. See:
    What is the Access Runtime Version?
    Access 2007 runtime deployment - FAQs (alos applies to 2010)
    Yes, issues and limitations.... Tried the packaged version (with RT and database)... but it didn't work out on the customer's pc.
    I might try without RT in the package (and separate install of that)... but I have a feeling it just might not work....
    <sigh>
    I'll look at your articles though. ;-)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toktok View Post
    Yes, issues and limitations.... Tried the packaged version (with RT and database)... but it didn't work out on the customer's pc.
    I might try without RT in the package (and separate install of that)... but I have a feeling it just might not work....
    <sigh>
    I'll look at your articles though. ;-)
    Did you first run the Office setup and make sure that the Full version of Access was not installed? If it is installed you will nee to remove it before you install the Access runtime
    Last edited by HiTechCoach; 2013-05-05 at 17:36.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach (Access Information here)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    "If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTechCoach View Post
    Did you first run the Office setup and make sure that the Full version of Access was not installed? If it is installed you will nee to remove it before you install the Access runtime
    On the client's machine, Office Home and Student was already installed (which has no Access component), so I didn't "first" run Office setup on that machine (but removed the old Access runtime from the other day I tried). When installing from the burned cd (with runtime and database packaged), it again installed something, and again asked for 25 key license code. Again, at one point you could actually see the database, but then again it asked for the license key and the loop began again...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to ask a potentially flawed question, but have you tried your package on a completely different computer that has never had any Office installations?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the installation of the Runtime and your files... it isn't supposed to request any key, correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you didn't include any fancy plugins, or non Access 2003 supported functions?

Can you load your database files into a full version of Access 2003, (which is what the runtime is based off of?)

These types of problems are easiest to work out when multiple machines are available to test with... I am fairly confident the problem lies with the two installations being mutually exclusive for unknown reasons on the specific machine... trying on a different machine might enlighten you to different issues (maybe better error messages).

How's this for a shot in the dark:

Is the Access 2003 Runtime Windows 7 compatible?
    Is the XP Mode option available at the client?
    Have you tried XP Mode at all (not at client, but in your own testing?)
    Have you tried completely removing/uninstalling Office Student and REBOOT and then install Access Runtime files? (I understand if you want to avoid this, and that is why I ask about XP Mode)

Have you tried to run Office Home and Student setup to confirm various items are not installed? I would double check and ensure no components that Access use are selected (I don't know what all could be included here, but perhaps import/export filetypes?)

Not to insult your intelligence, but it can be vital to reboot once or twice after each install or uninstall. I've been in a rush too many times to count, stuck with hitting my head against the wall, all because I was in too much of a rush to do a reboot before an install. In this case, a reboot does not equal logging off and back on. Power must cycle, as well.

Good luck my friend, and keep us posted on any developments.

Can someone, anyone, send me an example of a working Access database packaged the way the Topic Starter is doing this? I've never used the runtime (don't have M$ Office) and have no way to try this out. It seems to me as if someone could make a cassette tape database, package it with the runtime, and give away a working cassette database program. Is that true??
    Last edited by Ben09880; 2013-05-06 at 10:36. Reason: request for packaged db

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toktok View Post
    On the client's machine, Office Home and Student was already installed (which has no Access component), so I didn't "first" run Office setup on that machine (but removed the old Access runtime from the other day I tried). When installing from the burned cd (with runtime and database packaged), it again installed something, and again asked for 25 key license code. Again, at one point you could actually see the database, but then again it asked for the license key and the loop began again...

I would urge you to run the Office Setup to see if Access was part of the install. Until you verify that it will be impossible to help you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben09880 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the installation of the Runtime and your files... it isn't supposed to request any key, correct?
    That is only true if a Full versions of Access is not already installed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you didn't include any fancy plugins, or non Access 2003 supported functions?
    Thee issue is with Access starting. It has not even go to the point of loading he database when it ask for the License Key.

Not to insult your intelligence, but it can be vital to reboot once or twice after each install or uninstall. I've been in a rush too many times to count, stuck with hitting my head against the wall, all because I was in too much of a rush to do a reboot before an install. In this case, a reboot does not equal logging off and back on. Power must cycle, as well.
    I totally agree. Rebooting between each uninstall is important with Office

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HiTechCoach For This Useful Post:

Ben09880 (2013-05-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. Please see comments inside your quote in bold.

Sorry to ask a potentially flawed question, but have you tried your package on a completely different computer that has never had any Office installations?

No.

I didn't think so either.

Not as far as I know.

Can you load your database files into a full version of Access 2003, (which is what the runtime is based off of?)

Don't know. We have downloaded the Access 2010 Runtime.

These types of problems are easiest to work out when multiple machines are available to test with... I am fairly confident the problem lies with the two installations being mutually exclusive for unknown reasons on the specific machine... trying on a different machine might enlighten you to different issues (maybe better error messages).

Yes, and we will probably at some time in the future try it on another machine.

How's this for a shot in the dark:

Is the Access 2003 Runtime Windows 7 compatible?

It is actually Access 2010 Runtime we have downloaded.

Is the XP Mode option available at the client?

No, because that is only available for the Professional version of Windows 7, and they have Home.

Have you tried XP Mode at all (not at client, but in your own testing?)

No. I also only have Home ed.

Have you tried completely removing/uninstalling Office Student and REBOOT and then install Access Runtime files? (I understand if you want to avoid this, and that is why I ask about XP Mode)

Have you tried to run Office Home and Student setup to confirm various items are not installed? I would double check and ensure no components that Access use are selected (I don't know what all could be included here, but perhaps import/export filetypes?)

Thank you. A good reminder, because I also sometimes forget it ;-)

Good luck my friend, and keep us posted on any developments.

Thank you, and thanks for the suggestions. We are not pressed for time, as things are running OK now (from my computer). Later on we may try again.

Can someone, anyone, send me an example of a working Access database packaged the way the Topic Starter is doing this? I've never used the runtime (don't have M$ Office) and have no way to try this out. It seems to me as if someone could make a cassette tape database, package it with the runtime, and give away a working cassette database program. Is that true??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12