New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2013 wiped out my styled autocorrects from Word 2010

A great deal of my productivity flows from the styles and abbreviations that I use in my legal drafting, per the Auto Correct function of Word.

The Auto Correct entries are stored in an ACL file for non-formatted entries, but most of my legal cites require italicized entries, which are stored in the Normal.dotm file. You can imagine how time-consuming it would be to have to repeat the same complex spelling and formatting of case names and statutes, regulatory bodies etc. for each new document. A simply four- or five-letter Auto Correct does it perfectly, every time.

When I installed Word 2013 it overwrote my Normal.dotm file, causing me to lose all of those Auto Corrects and all of the Quick Styles. I successfully merged the Quick Styles from another document, so that spared me half of the problem. But the dozens of Auto Corrects disappeared. I do have a back-up of the previous file, stored in another directory.

Is there any way to recover the multiple previously-defined Auto Correct entries in my Word 2010 Normal.dotm file and have them transferred to the Word 2013 Normal.dotm file?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Assuming that you have your old normal.dotm use the utilities on the Word MVP site and Jay Freedman's site to extract the AutoCorrect entries to a Word table and then reinsert them into Word 2013. I do not know that this utility will work, but it is worth at try. You should do this with a copy.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    In the past, Office did not overwrite the old normal.dot(m) when upgrading. It renamed it, and then created a new one for the latest version. Go to the AppData (or application data, depending on the operating system)/Microsoft/templates along your user path and look for the renamed normal.dotm. If you see several, check the modified dates for one that is near the date of your upgrade.

For me the templates location is here:
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried placing a copy of your back up in the same folder as the new Normal.dotm (and over writing it)?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    Assuming that you have your old normal.dotm use the utilities on the Word MVP site and Jay Freedman's site to extract the AutoCorrect entries to a Word table and then reinsert them into Word 2013. I do not know that this utility will work, but it is worth at try. You should do this with a copy.
    Absolutely magnificent, Charles. It worked flawlessly. Do you have any idea how much effort you have saved me? Many, many thanks indeed! I had no idea that the utility existed, as it certainly isn't mentioned in any of the commercial books on Word.

I have been using Word since version 1.0 in 1983, when my fellow lawyers were using either Wordperfect or Xywrite. I have really appreciated some of the more esoteric features that provide truly creative increases in productivity, such as the autocorrect feature and styles that allow me to pre-define legal pleading formatting using about 30 specificly designed paragraph formats.

Thanks to the other contributers above, as well. This is such an elegant solution because not only does it give you the opportunity to back-up your entries, but the ability to edit them in the generated table is a superb addition, allowing you to easily prune those no longer required. I notice that almost all of self-defined items are located at the bottom of the table, which makes it easy to find them among all of the regular definitions.

Thanks
    You are welcome. The real kudos go to the MVPs who wrote it.

I would urge you to look into one of the old book series Word for Law Firms by Payne Consulting Group:
    Word 97 for Law Firms
    Word 2000 for Law Firms
    Word X (2002) for Law Firms

Although written for earlier versions of Word they give some great ideas. Unfortunately the toolbar customizations for earlier versions are much harder to achieve in the Ribbon versions.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin