Thread: Tired DVD drive

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tired DVD drive

I have a tower computer running Windows 7 Premium and use an Optiarc DVD/CD RW drive (see attached photo).

The drive reads/write just fine. However, if I try to open the disc tray by pushing the button on the drive front, it just makes thrashing noises and the door remains closed. I have to use the paperclip trick to get it open.

The only workaround is to leave a disc of some sort in the drive. It will then open just fine with the same button. Of course, the next time I forget to insert a "keeper" dsic in the drive, it's back to the old peperclip!

Any suggestions?

optiarc.JPG

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pfeldmann View Post

The only workaround is to leave a disc of some sort in the drive. It will then open just fine with the same button. Of course, the next time I forget to insert a "keeper" dsic in the drive, it's back to the old peperclip!

Any suggestions?
    pfeidmann,
    Hello...Reminds me of the old joke ...There are only two kinds of people who try to repair watches....Fools and Jewelers CD \ DVD RW's are inexpensive and readily available. There are two suppliers that i have used Newegg and Directron... Also it's no big deal to replace them ... Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-05-02 at 17:14.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    True, yet usually a little white grease on the gearing will fix the issue. Tiny motor working against harden/sticky grease.

Thanks
    This is an extremely weird issue to have; a DVD drive that requires a paper clip to open an empty drive.
    It sounds to me like you have some process or application that is constantly expecting to read or write whenever you attempt to open the drive.

Several possible things to try;
    1 Boot to safemode and attempt to open drive as usual. If you don't encounter an issue with opening it, you can [probably] assume it's software related,
    and then start the process of hunting down the culprit. (usually by disabling or stopping processes you think might be the cause)

2 You might also consider uninstalling the drive from device manager, then allowing for detection upon next bootup. This may or may not resolve it,
    but it's amongst the things I would try myself.

3 Take a close look at all your installed software for anything that might be required to have access to the drive in question, and uninstall it
    one by one, noting the effects on the drive.

4 These drives are basically "a dime a dozen" and are easy and cheap to purchase and install, but I would thoroughly explore the above first.

As always (as standard practice), before making any major changes to your system, ensure that you have a backup regimen in hand that will get
    your system up and running in less than 20-30 min.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    This is an extremely weird issue to have; a DVD drive that requires a paper clip to open an empty drive.
    It sounds to me like you have some process or application that is constantly expecting to read or write whenever you attempt to open the drive.

[B]Several possible things to try;

< . . . >
    Thanks for this. For some reason, WS Lounge didn't give me the customary e-mail notification re. replies, so I've just found this.

I agree it *is* weird. I'll try the safe mode to see what happens. Thanks.

Yes, these drives are relatively cheap. However, this is the second drive to exhibit this behavior, which began about 2-3 months after it was installed. To the grease chap: why would it need grease to open an empty drive when a full drive opens readily?

-Peter

Thanks
    I had a situation about a year ago in which I went through a few DVD drives -- they worked for the most part, but they would not work for installing Windows 7.

The problem drives were all IDE. Since IDE is becoming obsolete and SATA is the new standard, I purchased a SATA DVD drive. I successfully installed Windows 7 using the SATA DVD drive, and I've never had any problems with the SATA DVD drive.

Thanks
    Yes, these drives are relatively cheap. However, this is the second drive to exhibit this behavior, which began about 2-3 months after it was installed.
    You've got something in your software setup or the software environment of your OS that is seriously playing havoc with the normal operation of the drive in question.
    If this where common we could easily point to potential solution, but since it is not, you'll unfortunately be stuck trying to figure it out.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

pfeldmann (2013-05-17)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This drive is a SATA device, but thanks for the suggestion.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I figure it's unusual enough to show it off to guests at my next party. I throw some real swingers from time to time . . .