2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Reserved Partition space problem re Windows Backup

Like many others, I've had a problem with Windows Backup - it won't create a system image because the Reserved Partition does not have enough free space. So I've investigated, and found that the 100 mb partition has only 12 mb free as per Windows. Yet when I examine the files, it only shows 15mb worth of files in the partition. And yes, I do have folder options to show hidden system files. So there is a real mystery here as to what is using 73 mb worth of unaccounted space on the partition.

I don't feel like removing the partition, and it would be a real pain to expand it. And I don't want to expand it, I want to find out what is causing Windows to see 73mb more worth of usage then I can see!

Administrator
    Thanks
    There are many reports of this issue. Since you don't see files to account for the space it is probably file system journaling that has been turned on by some third party software. Often security software will do this. I've seen two different proposals that seem to work for some people. One, is to increase the size of the Reserved Partition - note the maximum is can be set to without causing problems in Windows is 490MB. Most likely, you'll need a third party partition tool to do this. Two: Tried to make C:\Drive as active in Disk management, it will make the boot partition (100MB ) inactive automatically, once you restart will get error boot manager is missing. We have a temporary solution.
    Please go to diskmgmt.msc (OR DISK MANAGEMENT IN CONTROL PANEL) and make the C:\ partition as activate and try backing up using system image, it should work. Never restart the computer after that. Once the backup is done, please go to diskmgmt.msc make the boot partition (100MB ) as active partition. Then restart. It should work.

** IMPORTANT** Please remember never make C:\ partition active and re boot you won't be able to boot. The reason is boot partition (100MB ) contains you boot files.
    Result: was able to resolve the issue.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll probably use a tool to shrink the main partition and expand the reserved, though I get very nervous every time I do something like that. It's too bad Disk Management can't do that. As to security tools, I'm guessing that the MS tools I use wouldn't do it, but I know that when I've installed things like Java other things (and I am careful) sometimes have gotten installed to.

Question - is there some tool I can use to detect the file journaling?

Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    See the references to fsutil at Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit backup failed.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So I used disk management to assign a drive letter J. And as shown below, I checked and found that USN journaling was turned on in the reserved partition. From various discussions I gathered that USN journaling is important on a normal partition but makes little sense on the reserved partition. I followed the directions on that link to first check the max size of the journal and then delete the journal;

fsutil usn queryjournal J:

convert max size info from hex to decimal (turned out to be about 50mb)

fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D J:

This would seem to be the safest way to resolve this particular problem if it actually is the problem. I sure would love to know why MS doesn't just post these directions openly where they are easy to find, or better yet create a Fixit that can detect and correct the problem. I'd also love to know what turned on USN journaling on this partition.

Thanks!