New Lounger
    Thanks

Can the Flash Player buffer be increased?

Listening to and recording streaming audio programmes from the wonderful BBC radio sites (e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio/bbc_radio_four) is great for the sanity.

The BBC iPlayer site uses the Adobe Flash Player. But because of an occasionally poor connection my stream often stutters, and I have found no way to increase buffering significantly to take advantage of the periods when the connection is better -- buffering seems to be full once there are only a few minutes of audio stored, if I am not mistaken.

Is there any way to achieve greater audio buffering in the Flash Player?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Just a thought, from an MVP who is very active on the Adobe forums:
    Quote Originally Posted by pwillener View Post
    The latest Flash Player version 11.7.700.169 has a known sound bug in it; it is fixed in the current Flash Player beta 11.7.700.191: Download Adobe Flash Player 11.7 Beta for Desktops - Adobe Labs (which will be released shortly).
    Could this be your problem?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Audio should be no problem even with low bandwidth. Even so, right click on the flash programme and choose settings...and then click on the program folder tab and move the slider all the way to the right from 100KB to Unlimited.
    Then refresh the page and when it starts to play, pause it for a while before starting it again. If its not restricted by the provider, it will continue to download and store on your system temporarily and will get far enough ahead of your play position to not bother when it is started again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi and thanks for the suggestions. It's nothing to do with the most recent Flash Player, as I have struggled with this for years now because of my dodgy 3G connection.

The slider is already all the way to the right, but still only allows a couple of minutes' audio buffering. If I pause either before starting or during the streaming, it still only buffers a few minutes. Ideally I would like to buffer at least half of a 30-minutes program for the best listening experience or recording (with Audacity) -- but this does not appear to be possible.

Thanks
    That lays the blame squarely on your connection, I think

Have you tried the iPlayer Desktop software: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/install?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Aha, interesting -- I wasn't aware there was a standalone application apart from the one which runs inside the browser. I'll give it a try and see if it makes for a smoother stream, thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: nope, no luck, for streaming radio the desktop iPlayer takes you straight back to the iPlayer in the browser, where the Flash Player refuses to buffer more than a couple of minutes even if I leave the stream on pause for 15 or 20 minutes.

Most of the time my 3G connection has no problem handling audio streaming (video streaming is another matter however); so in theory if only I could build up say 10 minutes of buffering on a half-hour streamed programme I'd be in clover and could iron out the stuttering -- but no such luck it seems!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've noticed a lot of streaming sites enforcing some sort of buffer rule recently...

Similar problems with different sites... youtube does it, hulu does it... sometimes even stupidvideos does it to me.

so does ESPN, even when watching a previously aired match...

and I have a 20Mbit connection. the server has some issue, or is like this by design.

Lounger
    Thanks
    An alternative would be to get one of those flash downloader plugins. Then you can just play a local file after it completely downloads.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I deal with a similar issue on a daily basis. I use a 13 yo laptop (HP XH545, Athlon IV, 950mhz, 512MB Ram [maxed] ) audio 'issues' (no sound unless using a media player). many Thousands of hrs on this machine but it boots every time. the only way I can watch videos or listen to anything is to use an flv downloader (Chrome Youtube Downloader and FVD video downloader [does audio too] are great free Extensions for Chrome, for Firefox, I use Ant , I used to use orbit which was great, but is no longer supported in FF, these are free too, I never pay for anything on the Web).

Downloading is quick and easy. I watch/listen/delete.