New Lounger
    Thanks

Admin account disabled: how to restore it?

A v. difficult problem of how to re-enable Administrator account.

First after bootup I have minor difficulties logging in - get a green screen with

"You cannot log on because the logon method you are using is not allowed on this computer.."

After clicking on boxes, I get a choice between "Guest" and "Other User" - and then can enter and get into "Mike/ no password" account and open the Win 7 desktop.

But then the Administrator account is disabled - so I cannot use any computer-altering prog.

I get "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes etc?" with the YES option blanked out! - and no way to type in the Administrator password.

I have tried standard recommendations - and none work:

from Command - "net users Administratot /active:yes" - I get "System error 5 has occurred... Access is denied"
    *lusurmngr.msc - won't allow me to alter accounts

*netplwiz won't run - same permission box blanked out

*User Accounts Control panel - won't work

*SAFE MODE - same login?Administrator problems - and no possibility of running computer-altering antivirus problems like Rkill

I scanned with AVG and Malware Bytes which found no problems apart from one months old patch prog. now removed.

Now what?! How do I reenable Administrator? Thx for any help.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ikbol View Post
    I scanned with AVG and Malware Bytes which found no problems apart from one months old patch prog. now removed.

Now what?!
    ikbol,
    Hello... Just running a Malwarebytes scan won't do ... Some malware can "Hide" itself. I would try running Malwarbytes "Chameleon" Just go to link and follow the instructions Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If the administrator account really is disabled you may be able to fix it with Petter's boot CD.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ikbol View Post
    "You cannot log on because the logon method you are using is not allowed on this computer."
    That's a Group Policy restriction. Is this computer connected to a domain?

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have not already tried this:

There are two levels of ADMINISTRATOR accounts on non-managed computers. To enable the higher level ADMINSTRATOR , right click on COMPUTER on the START menu and then select MANAGE. Under SYSTEM & TOOLS select LOCAL USERS & GROUPS then select USERS. You will see a list of everyone including all those with the lower level ADMINISTRATOR privileges. Right click on the higher level ADMINISTRATOR and under PROPERTIES then UNSELECT the ACCOUNT IS DISABLED.

Of course you have to know the password. Try the standards if you never set it (ADMIN, admin, password, PASSWORD, etc.). Once you log into this account you can do anything. I strongly recommend against changing this password.