Thread: IE 10 dementia

Thanks

IE 10 dementia

Since the last Patch Tuesday, IE10 has suddenly lost its ability to remember site login ID's and passwords in Windows 7. It continues to work just fine in the Windows 8 Desktop. In Windows 7 I've uninstalled/reboot/reinstalled it twice, but to no avail. I'm using IE9 again in Windows 7 for now. The only thing I haven't tried is sfc /scannow (been busy doing other things) but I will get around to reinstalling IE10 and trying sfc soon.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior with IE10? Yes, I've checked all the settings in "Internet options" and "Advanced", and they're unchanged. I've flipped them (check/reboot or uncheck/reboot) but nothing I've tried restores IE10's ability to remember ID's and passwords.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried "Reset" on the Advanced tab of IE settings?

Joe

Thanks
    Hi Joe,

I tried "Reset" first. No change. IE10 works fine in every other way, just can't remember ID's and passwords.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Did you check to see if Auto complete is set to to enable User Names and passwords on forms?
    Internet Options > Content tab > Auto Complete Settings Button > Check box next to User Names and Passwords on forms.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    With your extensive modifications to where things reside, could this be a permissions issue?

Joe

Thanks
    Hi Jerry,

Yes, all the right checkmarks are in all the right places.

@Joe,

The only real change is Windows Updates. It had been working fine, both before and after the hard drive replacement. I've been running IE10 since the official release for Windows 7. I may resort to a drive image restore, then run the updates one at a time to find the culprit.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    After lots of futzing, image restoring, searching in nooks and crannies, and another reinstall via Windows Update, IE10 now remembers usernames on all sites, and passwords on some (not the Lounge, though), which allows me to click and go for the most part. The reinstall picked up my saved usernames (and some passwords) from IE9, so everywhere I usually go I can click the username field and it will fill with my username, so I haven't had to re-enter all of those.

But before the dementia, when I clicked on a regularly visited internet shortcut, IE10 would open the site with me already logged in. And of course now, as long as I leave IE10 open somewhere, when I reopen a site visited previously I'm still logged in. Once I close IE10, I have to login again when I reopen it.

If I reboot over to Windows 8 and click on the Lounge shortcut, IE10 will open with me already logged in, like it used to do here in Windows 7. This is better than it was and I can live with it, but it's not like it used to be. Sfc /scannow didn't pick up a thing.

---edit--- I spoke too soon. IE10 does not play nice with my banking software. It almost imports my current transactions, but not quite. I'm back to IE9 again.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-05-05 at 13:51.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    At the last Patch tuesday mass Windows Update there was an update which was reported as leading to several BSoDs and we were all advised not to update with that one by Windows Secrets column (cant recall the number now). I already had updated with that one and was not having an issue. But I went ahead and uninstalled it anyway.

Since then my IE10 has consistently failed to remember signons etc and its spread to other browsers I use.

Also the Calendar and Weather gadgets no longer work.

And last but not least IE10 regularly having kernel failures leading to restoring websites. Like about every 10 mintues or so of browsing.

Thanks
    I also had many problems with IE10 update over IE9..(W7 pro).

I got around it the easy way...I restored my computer with a Windows Image backup I had made before the IE10 update.

If you had installed KB2670838, you need to uninstall it...MS pulled this patch and advises that it be uninstalled. This patch is replaced with KB284019. I have not installed this updated patch because Windows Secrets says to wait. I have read of problems with this patch too!

There was a Windows Platform patch issued before Internet Explorer 10....Patch KB2670838. This might be causing some problems....I do not have this patch installed now so this is only a thought.

I am happy to stay back to IE9...Until IE10 has some bugs fixed.
    GiddyUpGo "Learn from the Past, Live in Today, Prepare for the Future"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    it may still be remembering, but not auto-filling without your assistance. Try clicking inside the username field and then hit your arrow-down key. See if the username appears. If so, then click on it, and your password will appear to be filled in, so then click login button.

Thanks
    This is an older thread and I suspect it was a problem just before or after IE 10 was released. I also suspect the original problem has been fixed and the original question answered.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Tunes (2013-11-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks @Medico, you're probably right.