Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to mirror data from master worksheet

In my workbook, the first worksheet is linked to a SQL query (via ODBC DSN) and refreshed regularly. The data feed contains 33 columns and a variable number of rows. I need to develop processes in other worksheets that use only a few of these columns.

I need to know how/if I can, on a new worksheet, display/mirror eight columns from the master sheet, yet have said eight columns refresh whenever the master sheet does. Once done, I can proceed to build processes (lookups, pivots, etc.) on just the rows in which I'm interested. BTW, I can't just hide rows on the master worksheet as many will be useful for future processes, just not the initial ones. Any info appreciated.

Thanks
    I would lean towards having an "import" sheet that when activated, and/or at the press of a button (and/or any other triggers) would import the required columns from the master sheet. Then base your lookups, pivots on the import.

[Personally, I would think it would be easier to just have the one master and base calculations and summaries on this. Pivots can exclude data as needed, filtering can work to exclude items. I just believe it will be problematic to maintain and update a complete dataset and a subset dataset. I think the "Processings" would be better served to work on the complete set and only extract the info of value.]

Steve

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sdckapr For This Useful Post:

Reid (2013-05-03)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Steve. This is exactly what I wanted to know. I will proceed with just using the master and figure things out along the way. Much appreciated.