New Lounger
    Thanks

Losing wireless with increasing frequency

I have a strange problem and cannot determine if it is Windows 8 or CPU and/or router hardware.
    Normal operation is desktop cpu with ehternet connection to a wireless router and cable internet.
    I have multiple laptops and tablets working off the wireless. Windows 8 "internet connections" tells me
    I have an ethernet connection named "Williamsburg" using my Realtek network device. Using Cisco Connect,
    I can set router functions and check statistics. I turn my desktop off at night and laptops continue
    to connect to the internet via wireless.

Periodically, becoming daily, the wireless devices cease to connect to the internet. The desktop is
    still connecting normally. Windows "internet connections" now tells me I am connected to "network 2"
    and I cannot open my router settings because Cisco says I am not connected to "Williamsburg". I cannot
    open router setting via IP address either.

The only work around I have found is to power down the desktop and remove power from the modem and router.
    When I power back up I am on "Williamsburg" network and wireless works... until the next time. Windows 8 and
    all my applications and drivers are up to date. Antivirus runs clean.

I am at a loss as to how to proceed. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Thanks
    Try changing your Wireless broadcast channel by at least 3 numbers, Try Channel 3 and if that doesnt help, try channel 11.

jerry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    RN,

I'm sure you do but just in case, make sure your router has a strong password! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Several points. The wired connection is independent of the wireless connections. If the client is connected and powered up, that connection is achieved.

Wireless connections depend on signal strength, among other things. Distance can degrade that, so can interference from other devices on the same frequency, such as cordless phones, etc. A failing adapter will also cause erratic transmission.

If the signal loss affects multiple wireless devices, then the culprit is likely the router. Again, the wired side isn't necessarily involved. The fact that you need to reboot the router makes me suspect that it's the problem. Otherwise, with only one device losing connection, you could implicate the adapter in that device.

Substituting another router for yours should give you the answer.

An additional caveat. Re-establishing a lost connection from a client is not necessarily automatic. The network settings have to be set for that. You're describing moving to the next available connection "network 2" , which would interfere with reconnecting to a lost signal. That setting needs to be changed, but the network switch also makes me suspect that the adapter in the laptop is not the problem.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Nice title - good for a laugh for us old techies.

cheers, Paul