3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lagging screen response

I've put together a new desktop PC with a Gigabyte MB that has integrated video. I'm getting a slight lag in response of the screen refreshing when inputting data in Excel macros.

For example if I have a data input window pop up there is a micro second delay between hitting the OK button on that input window before it goes away and the screen refreshes with the new page. This was never the case on my old XP Core 2 Duo 2.2 ghz machine. I believe I turned off ALL the animation fade out options in Windows 8 and that helped a lot but not a 100% cure.

The new machine has:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD4H Z77 1155 (New Egg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Tpk=13-128-583)
    INTEL|CORE I5 3570K 3.4G 6M R
    8 gig RAM

This is the first time I've gone with integrated video on the motherboard or CPU/motherboard so am wondering if that is the cause. I imagine I could add a separate video card and disable onboard video. It's my understanding the video processor is actually part of the I5 3570K processor.........correct? If that is the case is that integrated video processor less capable than a good quality nVidea or similar processor?

Or perhaps this is just being caused by something in the video settings that I don't know about.

This refresh lag is more of a small annoyance that a real problem. It's rather hard to take that the new machine is slower than the old in any way, shape for or manner.

Thanks,
    BH
    Last edited by bhdavis; 2013-05-03 at 16:05.

Thanks
    I doubt video is your issue here. You might benefit from a macro.
    Moved to spreadsheets
    CLiNT
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    bhdavis, if it might be hardware, you might try asking here: http://forums.hardwaresecrets.com/

Thanks
    bh,

Doubt it is your hardware. You hava a little beast that should handle even robust worksheets. I would look more toward the code that is running and the data it is processing. Try adding Application.ScreenUpdating=False on the first line of the code, minimize looping where possible, and make sure that changing data on a worksheet is not unintentionally cycling code within the Worksheet_Change event subroutine of the worksheet. If this is the case, you can use the Application.EnableEvents = False in your code.

HTH,
    Maud

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maud,

Tried it with no change in refresh rate.

I've contacted Intel and sent the file to them for review.

Thanks everyone for the help.
    BH

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    did you load all the drivers that came with your motherboard?

years ago, when AGP was king, if you didn't load the AGP mini port driver you would experience similar hick-ups.

I don't have a shiny new machine, so I don't know if PCI-E has similar problems or not... but the same idea still applies... especially with built-in devices such as your video system. A driver for a card reader could link into the USB driver... or the USB miniport driver could also house timing relatives to another subsystem... or the sound card driver links into the touchpad driver... my explanation is faulty, but the end result is not. Sometimes vendors use similar components with different drivers, specifically to overcome some other issue.

To put my reasoning into perspective:

I have an HP laptop. I want Cool Sense to run correctly (keeps the machine cool).
    If I use NVidia's own driver on my machine (instead of the HP branded driver), my touchpad acts erratic and I cannot use Cool Sense. Why would my video card affect my touchpad? Who knows, I tried to explain, but honestly can't.

Seems like you may have missed a somewhat easily over-looked driver... but as I said, I don't have a shiny new machine... just Core Duo 2 laptops with HP drivers across the board (incidentally, I did upgrade my NVidia driver, just don't use my touchpad if I can avoid it now).

Check if all your drivers were supplied from your driver CD. If the problem persists with 100% vendor supplied drivers, I'm out of ideas.

I just checked out the board you posted... it should definitely have no issue as you described. I completely agree about being upset at this one issue.

Shot in the dark- try disabling Aero and see if it still occurs.

Good luck, as that machine should tear through spreadsheets like a blowtorch through butter.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ben 09880,

Yes I've tried all relative drivers, both Intel and Gigabyte..........even one Intel driver I was directed to by Intel tech that doesn't show up under Windows Update.

What I now need to add to the original post is that this same problem also occurs on my new Windows 8 I7 laptop by Dell with the same HD 4000 graphics processor. That machine has dual graphics processors (don't know why) and when I disable the HD 4000 the problem goes away just like on the desktop.

I was thinking it was a Windows 8 compatibility issue with the old Excel 2002 version but since that runs perfectly well in all other respects.......and perfectly well when the HD4000 is disabled.......I have to wonder. I guess Intel was also intrigued enough to ask me to send in the files and machine data. I've never been asked for that before so this should be somewhat interesting to see if anything happens.

As to Aero I didn't even know what it was. I looked it up and while not knowing what it was called I did have that visual affect turned off.

Thanks for all the help. And this isn't a critical issue after all as everything on the PC seems to be running just fine with the HD4000 disabled. Would be nice to get it back on line but not critical.

Thanks again,
    BH
    Last edited by bhdavis; 2013-05-12 at 13:57.