Lounger
    Thanks

Question Bing Bar: when I uninstall it, Windows Update automatically reinstalls it

I have no need for the Bing Bar. When I use the control panel to uninstall it, when I shut down my system Windows Update re-installs it without giving me the option to reject it. How do I get rid of it?

Cheers,

Will

Thanks
    Will,

If you set your Windows Update to Notify then you can pick and choose which updates to install.
    The Bing Bar shows up under Optional Updates you can right-click it and choose Hide and it won't darken your door again. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks

Cool Bing Bar - NOT!

That thing (Bing) almost qualifies as a virus, because it slips into a person's PC without their knowledge or permission and takes up residence.

I'm constantly taking it and a dozen or so more 'bars' off of my customers' PC's and they don't know what it is or where it came from.

There should be nothing getting into a person's PC without their knowledge and consent.
    I also remove Chrome, for the same reasons.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have actually 'hidden' the bing bar update several times only to find in un-hidden when the next update comes along. I always check the optional updates before allowing the update to procede

Thanks
    I know, that some don't agree with my fix, but to stop MS from putting things into your computer, just shut off Auto Updates.

That's what I did. Life is Good!

PS:
    Many of my customers who still use XP, now have their Auto Updates turned OFF, after an MS Update totally disabled their PC. They were glad to be rid of that constant aggravation.
    XP will live a long and prosperous life, if something like an MS Update doesn't kill it.
    Last edited by DrWho; 2013-05-09 at 06:50.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    I know, that some don't agree with my fix, but to stop MS from putting things into your computer, just shut off Auto Updates.

That's what I did. Life is Good!

PS:
    Many of my customers who still use XP, now have their Auto Updates turned OFF, after an MS Update totally disabled their PC. They were glad to be rid of that constant aggravation.
    XP will live a long and prosperous life, if something like an MS Update doesn't kill it.
    Most malware infections explore old, some times very old, Windows bugs. Turning auto updates off is a way to increase risk, as old bugs won't get patched so I wouldn't advise it as easily as you seem to. All you need is one of the unpatched customers to get infected. What will you tell them, then? Was their decision to go unpatched?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Ya know....that's really a dumb question. After thirty + years in this business do you really think I don't know how to protect a PC against malware? Really? Really?

I use and give my customers a "Package" of the best FREE Anti-Malware software in the world.
    We all stay 100% malware FREE.

If you rely on MS to keep you safe, you're in for a rude awakening one day.
    They have proven, that they can't even fix the security holes in I.E.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Ya know....that's really a dumb question. After thirty + years in this business do you really think I don't know how to protect a PC against malware? Really? Really?

I use and give my customers a "Package" of the best FREE Anti-Malware software in the world.
    We all stay 100% malware FREE.

If you rely on MS to keep you safe, you're in for a rude awakening one day.
    They have proven, that they can't even fix the security holes in I.E.

The observation that you rely on the BEST free anti-malware software in the world and the implication that it will keep you safe is quite telling. Thanks for that, colorful language and all. That allows me to say with total ease: I rest my case.

Please do keep on applying industry best practices. We can all learn from it .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Windows updates also fix functional things in addition to Security flaws. Daylight savings time fixes are an example but there are others.

Jerry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

anisbet2171 (2013-05-10)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Done. Thanks for the tip. Goodbye, Bing. Share a beer with Zippy.

Thanks
    30+ years in this business doesn't guarantee that you know what you're doing. Just reading through the various postings at Windows Secrets Forums and seeing some of the horror stories that people had to endure from so-called experts should tell you that.

For example, the data restore train wreck that a user spoke of about five months ago. Remember that one? I'll bet we all cringed when we read that.

Also, the "expert" may know quite a bit, but if he isn't also careful with what he is doing, it's not much better than if he didn't know what he was doing.

So in my view, it really wasn't a dumb question.

Just sayin'....