New Lounger
    Thanks

Kaspersky found 7 problems, need help changing settings

I just ran the Kaspersky Security Scan this evening. It found "7 problems" and I am not sure how to change the settings that it says are problematic. Any help would be appreciated.

"Autorun from hard drives is allowed"
    "Autorun from network drives is enabled"
    "CD/DVD autorun is enabled"
    "Removable media autorun is enabled"
    "Microsoft Internet Explorer: disable sending error reports"
    "Microsoft Internet Explorer: clear the list of trusted domains"
    "Microsoft Internet Explorer: start page reset"

The last one regarding the IE start page reset is probably because I use my own start page which is a page of frequesntly used bookmarks that resides on my computer. The rest I am unsure of.
    The OS is Win XP Pro SP3 with all current updates installed.

Thanks in advance for any pointers on how to change these settings.

Thanks
    @nonobadgirl, Welcome as a new poster.

This rather lengthy support article from MS will show how to disable autoruns. Autoruns can be a problem because if the media you are running has a problem with autoruns enabled, it will start before your system has a chance to check it for malware. By disabling autoruns, you can insert the media, then scan it for problems prior to running/opening the media.

The MS found "problems" are not really problems in my opinion. I do not believe you need to do anything with them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

nonobadgirl (2013-05-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    @nonobadgirl, Welcome as a new poster.

This rather lengthy support article from MS will show how to disable autoruns. Autoruns can be a problem because if the media you are running has a problem with autoruns enabled, it will start before your system has a chance to check it for malware. By disabling autoruns, you can insert the media, then scan it for problems prior to running/opening the media.

The MS found "problems" are not really problems in my opinion. I do not believe you need to do anything with them.
    Thank you Medico for the link. I read the article start to finish and then did a little poking around looking at the files it said to change, and since my system did not have all of the files that were listed for any of the XP Pro configurations, I opted for the FixIt Wizard. I downloaded the wizard, ended all aps, rebooted and ran the Wizard, then rebooted again as suggested. I then downloaded and ran the Kaspersky Security Scan again, and it said I had the same 7 problems. I knew that could not be true, because before I rebooted the first time, I changed the IE home page back to it's default, as a sort of check point. To double check, I put the installation CD for my Kodak printer into each of my optical drives and it did not run in either, and it does have an autorun.inf file. As you said, I do not consider any of the MS found problems as problems anyway. What I would like to know though, just for a double check, is there a reputable ap that I can use to check to find if I have disabled the autorun from my harddrive and from the network drive? Thank you very much for the help so far, you have saved me days and days of pulling my hair out. And also - I know better than to use Kaspersky again, they disappointed me terribly. I assumed they were above this type of reporting errors that were not there.
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
    It's about learning to dance in the rain. "

Thanks
    I would think if you insert media that was opening/running automatically when inserted and it now asks you what you wish to do, this is verification that Autoruns has been disabled.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I would think if you insert media that was opening/running automatically when inserted and it now asks you what you wish to do, this is verification that Autoruns has been disabled.
    Yes, of course you're right, and that isn't in question for me. What I am still questioning is whether or not I have effectively disabled the Autorun on my harddrive and on the network drive, and I would very much like a way to double check that. Any ideas how I might go about that?
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
    It's about learning to dance in the rain. "

Thanks
    I do not, sorry. Perhaps someone else can chime in here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobadgirl View Post
    What I am still questioning is whether or not I have effectively disabled the Autorun on my harddrive and on the network drive, and I would very much like a way to double check that. Any ideas how I might go about that?
    The linked knowledge base article includes a description of the Registry settings that disable Autorun/Autoplay - both on all devices and on selected specific types of devices. If you check the settings and they conform to those described in the article you should be OK. When the settings occur both under HKCU and HKLM, the latter take precedence in any case of conflict.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to - bill For This Useful Post:

nonobadgirl (2013-05-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Why does MS make everything so difficult??