New Lounger
    Thanks

Chrome.exe proliferation

chrome.exe is listed in my Explorer as 1,282KB in size. Why is it that after a fresh boot, I have 10 or more instances of a chrome.exe process, ranging in size from 25,000+ KB to 85,000+ KB, showing in my Task Manager before I have even opened a Google Chrome window?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Right click on the Chrome title bar and open the Chrome Task Manager to see what each process is for.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlc View Post
    chrome.exe is listed in my Explorer as 1,282KB in size. Why is it that after a fresh boot, I have 10 or more instances of a chrome.exe process, ranging in size from 25,000+ KB to 85,000+ KB, showing in my Task Manager before I have even opened a Google Chrome window?
    Some plugins may start even without a browser window.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya plugins and extensions and you may have other programs running the chrome engine behind the scenes. Avant and other browsers are examples of the later.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Today I ran CCleaner after boot-up and got a message that I had to close Google Chrome if I wanted its trash cleaned. I hadn't opened Chrome. Also, when I shut down, I get a message that background applications are still running. I have to wait until they shut down or force them to close. When I do the latter, the next time I open Chrome I get a message that it didn't close properly and do I want to restore the previous session. Seems intrusive to me.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What seems intrusive, CCleaner or Chrome? If Chrome is indicated as running and Chrome Browser is not, figure out if you have anything else using the Chrome render engine and the message that background apps are still running should be taken seriously; you need to figure out what those are if you did not initiate any, from downloading to any unauthorized extension to...whatever.