Thanks

Boot from DVD / CD

Hello,

How do you set Win8 OEM with UEFI Motherboard to boot from disk without an error message being displayed when their is no disk in the drive.
    -
    I have found that a disk made on a BIOS Motherboard PC, will not work on a UEFI Motherboard PC.
    Jim.
    May you live as long as you want, and want to as long as you live.

Thanks
    You're not telling us much, about your computer, your motherboard or anything else, as required.

But unless, I've really missed something, the OS only comes into play AFTER the motherboard has booted up the PC and then turned the control of the PC over to the OS.

So the premise of your post, that Win-8 has something to do with the boot process is flawed.
    I don't see it.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Secure boot in UEFI works in conjunction with Win 8 to prevent booting from anything else Dr.

Has secure boot been disabled now Look and now you're looking to get rid of the message or is secure boot still enabled?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    You're not telling us much, about your computer, your motherboard or anything else, as required.

The Doctor
    What exactly do you require ???
    Jim.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Secure boot in UEFI works in conjunction with Win 8 to prevent booting from anything else.

Has secure boot been disabled now Look and now you're looking to get rid of the message or is secure boot still enabled?
    I've only had the pc for 3 days, and thats the only thing I've searched for so far. How do I disable Secure boot ???
    Jim.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Look View Post
    I've only had the pc for 3 days, and thats the only thing I've searched for so far. How do I disable Secure boot ???
    You don't want to disable Secure Boot unless you're having other issues - Windows 8 will not boot with Secure Boot disabled. You need to enter the Boot Options menu (probably F12 during bootup) and then you should be given options to boot legacy devices (such as a CD that is not EFI aware).

If you select a boot option that is unavailable (such as a CD drive with no CD) you'll get an error message. You need to have your bootable media (whether CD/DVD or USB Thumb Drive) in place while making the Boot Options selection, because you are actually in the boot process, just paused waiting for some alternate media.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-05-06 at 20:52. Reason: clarity
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you sure about that? Seems like secure boot is not very secure if a legacy device option is presentable (more like the security of a Windows 98SE account password), and I was reading HP documentation about SB and it explicitly states that SB disables any legacy devices from booting, including bootable CDs and DVDs and then explains how to disable SB with the warning that any changes in that section may prevent the system from booting.

One thing's clear; it's very confusing.

for the OP, it's in the UEFI settings.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-05-07 at 02:26.

Thanks
    As usual, I'm not very good at explaining what I'm trying to get an answer to, or fully understanding replies made due to my poorly posed question. Here is a simpler explanation.
    -
    In most operating systems, you could set the boot menu to boot from dvd / cd first. When a disk is loaded and pc was restarted, you were prompted to 'Press Any Key' to boot from disk. This is what I'm trying to do in Win8. As yet, I have not made any bootable disks on my new pc. All I have are a Norton Ghost 15 & an Acronis TIH 2010 recovery disks which were made on a Win7 pc. Tomorrow, I am going to install Macrium Reflect, make a recovery disk and PRAY.
    Jim.