Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Evidently it's either disbelief, or I'm just not getting my point across. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a few thousand...

100_0279.JPG

100_0280.JPG

100_0281.JPG

100_0282.JPG

100_0283.JPG

100_0284.JPG

100_0285.JPG

100_0286.JPG

100_0287.JPG

Please look at the images closely. Click on the image to enlarge it. Windows Defender Offline (meaning Windows is offline) can go online to get the latest definitions. A CD is just fine for WDO. All one needs to do is click the Update button.

I burned this CD 2/23/13.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-05-09 at 17:13. Reason: added info
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    ... and yet:

I've used Windows Defender Offline before, can I re-use the CD or DVD that I created?

If you created a CD or DVD you shouldn't reuse it; it contains definitions to help it detect malware.

Definitions are updated frequently so the definition files on the CD or DVD will be out of date.

If you created a USB flash drive, you can reuse it. Windows Defender Offline will update the definitions when you rerun the wizard

Windows Defender Offline: frequently asked questions

Did they update the program but not the instructions?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You do not change the BIOS. You only tell it which device to boot from. When you restart the computer, as soon as the screen goes blank start tapping the F12 key. The start up process only gives you a second or two to jump in and change the order for booting(this time only, you are not changing anything permanently).
    I routinely run the WDO from a USB flash drive. The USB Flash drive must be blank, the install process formats the USB flash drive, I guess to make sure there is no malware on the USB flash drive. Weekly I run a Norton Anti-virus full scan and a Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool( I download it from Microsoft monthly instead of having it run with the Tuesday updates so I can run it whenever I want). Then the Windows Defender Offline from the USB flash drive. WDO has twice found infections the other scans missed. Both times I re-installed from the last Windows 7 Image backup I had made. Then ran the scans again, with a clean machine.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sj_ken View Post
    You do not change the BIOS. You only tell it which device to boot from. When you restart the computer, as soon as the screen goes blank start tapping the F12 key. The start up process only gives you a second or two to jump in and change the order for booting(this time only, you are not changing anything permanently).
    I routinely run the WDO from a USB flash drive. The USB Flash drive must be blank, the install process formats the USB flash drive, I guess to make sure there is no malware on the USB flash drive. Weekly I run a Norton Anti-virus full scan and a Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool( I download it from Microsoft monthly instead of having it run with the Tuesday updates so I can run it whenever I want). Then the Windows Defender Offline from the USB flash drive. WDO has twice found infections the other scans missed. Both times I re-installed from the last Windows 7 Image backup I had made. Then ran the scans again, with a clean machine.
    Sounds like you have a well thought protection strategy in place .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks

Do I need to post a video???

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    ... and yet:

I've used Windows Defender Offline before, can I re-use the CD or DVD that I created?

If you created a CD or DVD you shouldn't reuse it; it contains definitions to help it detect malware.

Definitions are updated frequently so the definition files on the CD or DVD will be out of date.

If you created a USB flash drive, you can reuse it. Windows Defender Offline will update the definitions when you rerun the wizard

Windows Defender Offline: frequently asked questions

Did they update the program but not the instructions?

Bruce
    I don't have any idea what "they" did. What I do know is shown quite clearly in the photos I posted. I booted from a WDO CD I burned in February. Once Windows Defender Offline booted completely, I clicked the Update button, WDO downloaded the latest definitions (the date is plainly visible in the photo taken after the download was complete), and then I started a Quick Scan using the latest definitions.

There is no need to completely redo WDO every time one desires to run it. Just boot the existing copy, click the big red update button, and scan. It can't really get much simpler, can it?

Might I suggest give it a try, and see for yourself?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Compaq Presario CQ60, and I have to keep tapping the F8 key as it starts up, before it goes into Windows, in order to access the Boot Menu Options, in order to change the Boot Sequence to USB Flash.
    Hope this helps.

ied all of the function keys with no success at getting a popup box that will allow me to resequence the BIOS.

BTW, is there an option to backup the BIOS before making any changes?[/QUOTE]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeD17 View Post
    I have a Compaq Presario CQ60, and I have to keep tapping the F8 key as it starts up, before it goes into Windows, in order to access the Boot Menu Options, in order to change the Boot Sequence to USB Flash.
    Hope this helps.
    Do you have to hold down the [fn] key (between the alt and ctrl keys) while hitting the F8 key? Or just hit the F8 key?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry wrong info! I just tried it again. Have to keep tapping F10 key. Do NOT have to press Fn key. Tap F10 when screen goes black -before Windows starts. Go to: System Configuration / Boot Options / Boot Order. Hit Enter. Follow instructions on right. Use F5 and F6 keys to move usb option down or up. On mine I can also do the same thing tapping the F9 key - and then select "Enter Setup" under Boot Menu -and continue as in using F10 key above.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, Lee. I tried your suggestions, no luck...
    I have tried all of the suggested keys to try to invoke the setup screen or system config screen, nothing seems to work. Some keys, (F9, F10, F1 & F2) if i repeatedly tap them, will keep Windows from loading, but I don't get the desired boot config screen, the screen just stays black, and Windows does not load. I eventually have manually power down.
    I have not tried ALL F keys yet (F5, F6 & F7). I have tried CTRL-ALT-DEL, DEL & ESC keys too.

Getting late, I'll try it again tomorrow. There's GOT to be a way to do this!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryR40 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, Lee. I tried your suggestions, no luck...
    I have tried all of the suggested keys to try to invoke the setup screen or system config screen, nothing seems to work. Some keys, (F9, F10, F1 & F2) if i repeatedly tap them, will keep Windows from loading, but I don't get the desired boot config screen, the screen just stays black, and Windows does not load. I eventually have manually power down.
    I have not tried ALL F keys yet (F5, F6 & F7). I have tried CTRL-ALT-DEL, DEL & ESC keys too.

Getting late, I'll try it again tomorrow. There's GOT to be a way to do this!
    Ddid your computer come with a manual? How to get to the BIOS should be described in the manual.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Did your computer come with a manual? How to get to the BIOS should be described in the manual.
    No, all I had was one of those fold-out instruction sheets... I probably had an onboard user guide originally, but the reformat and reloading the OS that I mentioned in my OP eliminated that...

I will look online for a pdf user's guide, but from everything that I have seen so far, F10 seems to be the key that I should be able to use to invoke the boot window...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Do I need to post a video???

I don't have any idea what "they" did.

Might I suggest give it a try, and see for yourself?
    I didn't say I didn't believe you. Only that Microsoft's instructions read differently. (The they was them.)

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From eHow:

Instructions

1 Restart your HP computer if it is on. If it is off, simply turn it on.
    2 Wait for the HP logo to appear during the start-up sequence right after your computer turns on.
    3 Press the "F10" button as soon as you see the HP logo or while the screen is blank.
    4 Change the desired settings in your BIOS menu and exit it to gain access to your normal computing functions.
    The problem is, that since my re-format, the step#2 does not happen. When I turn off my computer and restart it, the monitor screen stays black until Windows' startup blue screen appears. If I start tapping F10 immediately after powering back up, I can interrupt the Windows startup process, but the desired BIOS boot window does not appear - the screen stays black. I eventually have to power down and restart.

Is there a way to invoke the BIOS popup after Windows has started? Or would that do any good?

Thanks
    Assuming this is a desktop, open it up and replace the CMOS battery:
    http://compaqtvcables.danielcadams.c...-cmos-battery/

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Assuming this is a desktop, open it up and replace the CMOS battery:
    http://compaqtvcables.danielcadams.c...-cmos-battery/

Jerry
    Jerry - from your link above:
    The CMOS battery in your Compaq Presario computer helps your PC keep the correct date and time. If the battery fails, you may experience problems with your computer because many features rely on the system keeping time. When the battery is low, you should see an error message when you start your computer.
    I have not been seeing any such error message, and my system clock (in the lower R/H corner) is keeping time. Are you saying that you think my problems might be related to a depleted CMOS battery?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast