New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy HomeGoup problems in Win8

I have subscribed to the Newsletter since it's earliest DOS days. The lounge is a fairly new feature, & I have not used it so far other than scanning the section in the Newsletter. Perhaps someone in the lounge group may have a bright thought on this problem.
    Been working on this for several days. Lots of Web searching & no answers. I have tried everything I can think of, removing & reinstalling Homegroup several times with no result.

To begin, a little background. I have assembled my own systems for many years. The last one gave me MB problems, requiring replacement. So when I saw what looked a good deal on Newegg, I bought a "refurbished" Dell XPS 8500 with an i7 & 2GB drive for less than components. Then my problems started!

The Dell was setup for a regular network. I have networked with Homegroup for a couple of years. It is only a home convenience connecting computers & printers these days. I removed the network setup & most of the Dell software, loading my own. I had first tried my own drive with Win 8 upgrade from Win 7 installed, & discovered the UEFI Bios which would not run that drive. Changing to the old Bios did not allow very good performance, so back to UEFI & the drive that came with the box. Lots of fun installing programs!! Yes, the Dell only came with a setup disk.

That's when I discovered the new unit refused to network with the other 3 units. It can see the others share structure,__ Documents, Music, Pictures etc., but NO details, only the group headings. It will not show it's own name under Homegroup, & the other 3 units cannot see anything on the Dell. The other 3 read & write to each other fine.

Thanks
    I was also having problems with Homegroup and subsequently went back to Workgroup. I now only have 2 laptops now, although I did have 3 PCs (2 laptops and a desktop with Win 7) Fred Langa posted an article a few years ago called Simple Change in Settings Pumps up Win 7 Networks. This works equally as well in Win 8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Oldtimer 83, Good day to you, you only have me beat by a few years.

I found out that the machines have to be password protected as a requirement before Network will allow a connection on W-8. Do not ask me why/how come, I just was able to LAN my 6 machines only after setting PWs on all of them in "Users". A coincidence ? I can not say. Also make sure that they are all on the same address for the LAN, the default is Workgroup as MS has set it. W-8 is a little more specific in security. YMMV, Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Ted.
    There is a slew of differences between your link and the nowadays W-8 setup. I just had a look at this Langa article and had a hard time "paralleling" the W-7 and this W-8 setup. But it is possible ! Tell me, did you also as I did and stated to 83, that a password has to be set in Users even if the LAN is set to not request one ??? This could be a MS quirk.
    Have a great Spring. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    @oldtimer83,

Have you run the homegroup troubleshooter?
    Have you checked HomeGroup problems in Windows?
    Also see Windows 8 Homegroup.

Joe