3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updating Excel to newer version

I've been using and creating macros in Excel 2002 for years. I am now thinking about upgrading to Office 10.

First though out of curiosity I downloaded Open Office and took a look. I've been unable to get my Excel 2002 macros to run in Open Office although there probably is a way to do that.

This got me wondering if I would have a similar problem with running my existing Excel 2002 macros in Office 10.

Can someone let me know if this is going to be a nightmare or if Excel 10 will just simply run the old Excel 2002 macros with no conversions required?

Thanks,
    BH

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    BH,

Generally, you shouldn't have any major problems. There will of course be some changes necessary due to the Ribbon interface and the larger worksheet grid. There are of course some new and some expanded features that have more settings to account for in your code. IMHO you shouldn't find it too onerous to make the move. Of course we're always here and you can search in both the Excel & VBA forums for previous answers to questions you may have before posting new ones. Good Luck. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe you may still be able to download a free 60 day trial version of Office 2010. That would give you the opportunity to test it.

Careful though, the trial normally includes all programs (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.) available to their premium product, once you buy an Office "version" the other products will be removed. Research what it is you want.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately it looks like that offer ran out mid-March.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    BH

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdavis View Post
    I've been using and creating macros in Excel 2002 for years. I am now thinking about upgrading to Office 10.

First though out of curiosity I downloaded Open Office and took a look. I've been unable to get my Excel 2002 macros to run in Open Office although there probably is a way to do that.

This got me wondering if I would have a similar problem with running my existing Excel 2002 macros in Office 10.

Can someone let me know if this is going to be a nightmare or if Excel 10 will just simply run the old Excel 2002 macros with no conversions required?

Thanks,
    BH
    Over the years I've amassed a huge number of macros written in Office 2000 and 2003, and haven't had a problem running any of them under 2007/2010.

Of course, there are new things to get used to - like the Trust Centre, different messages/prompts for enabling macros, and things to be aware of, such as increased row/column limits, issues with range names that may duplicate cell addresses (e.g. USA999), and occasionally features have been removed (Office FileSearch), but generally speaking all my experiences have been good