Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft admits failure on Windows 8

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    What a crock. Let's see what really changes.

All Microsoft has publicly said is that it is repsonding to feedback. See these two summaries of interviews with Tami Reller, the Windows division CFO - Microsoft: More than 100 million Windows 8 licenses sold and What Microsoft is now saying (and not) about Windows Blue.

Interpret that as you will.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is no real surprise. Several people on this forum including myself predicted that MS would have to do something with the release of what amounts to SP1.
    Chuck

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows BLUE????

WHere have I been?? When did M$ start naming their Service Packs something other than Service Packs?

Got anymore links about this BLUE thing? Guess I've been under a rock...!

)

They should put the start menu back and the desktop. "Charms" (do I got that right? no W8 here) sound like "Gadgets", so split the screen for Charms and Desktop. Just like on 7. Just like on Vista.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben09880 View Post
    "Charms" (do I got that right? no W8 here) sound like "Gadgets"
    Not really. Charms are four icons which appear in both desktop mode and Metro mode of Windows 8 whenever the mouse pointer is drifted into the top right or bottom right corner of the screen. They appear without the mouse being clicked, which many people find intensely annoying. They invoke some of the housekeeping functions which were previously on the Start menu. To add to the confusion, some of the Charms icons change their behaviour when a Metro app is being run.

Most of the third party utilities which restore the Start button and its menu also provide options to disable the Charms icons.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    wow.

so charms are akin to a floating toolbar of a set of 4 buttons that are not standardized per the current application?

what?!

I think I'm pretty happy I haven't upgraded to 8 then...

can you link to a screenshot example? do the icons' appearance change to denote the function changed?

Administrator
    Thanks
    It is not a surprise at all. Just go back and look at when the first service packs were released for XP, Vista, & Win7.

XP was released August, 2001. SP1 was released September, 2002.
    Vista was released to retail January 2007. SP1 was released February 2008.
    Win7 was released to retail October 2009. SP1 was released February 2011.

With the exception of XP SP-2 service packs do not contain new features. They contain support for new hardware and a rollup of various updates.

What is a surprise is that Microsoft is expected to add new features in this release. Microsoft is not calling this a service pack but an update. That may be splitting hairs at the moment but it may also signal a change in approach. Microsoft appears to be changing to a more frequent release schedule across all their products. As yet, they have not publicly committed to an annual schedule. In the second article to which I linked in post 2, Ms. Reller says "You shouldn't assume we won't be doing this yearly... or that we will".

Note also that Microsoft have not said whether this will be chargable or not.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    wow.

so charms are akin to a floating toolbar of a set of 4 buttons that are not standardized per the current application?

what?!

I think I'm pretty happy I haven't upgraded to 8 then...

can you link to a screenshot example? do the icons' appearance change to denote the function changed?
    Here, watch the video from our Windows 8 resources:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...uctional-Video
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    can you link to a screenshot example?
    Here's one: http://cloud.addictivetips.com/wp-co...-Settings1.png
    The charms are the five icons in the rightmost column - Search, Share, Start, Device and Settings. (Sorry, there are five of them, not four as wrongly I said before.)
    do the icons' appearance change to denote the function changed?
    Good question. I don't know, but given Metro's reputation for not providing any visual clues to help users I doubt it.

There's a description of the Charms icons here:
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...shortcuts.html

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thank you for the posts on the charm bar.

sounds like a positively useless piece of junk for those on a non-mobile-phone-esque device.

and I also read in a link that the Windows key opens the Start Screen? Is that right? The entire SCREEN changes if you accidentally hit the Windows key??? That sounds even more ridiculous!

I had this vision of a smallish panel appearing with the 'charms', not a black bar on the whole side of the screen. Something that could be ignored easily if accidentally triggered... but this sounds like a nightmare. Imagine moving the mouse to undim the screen and triggering the stupid bar. Do on-screen elements 're-flow' as the bar is activated? Does it cover the scroll bar in the active app? Seems like a very dumb addition to Windows on a full PC... mobile device, why not? but never on a full PC... power users on smallish machines will grind to a halt if that charms bar re-flows the screen... and touch typists still occasionally hit the wrong key... or people playing pinball games.

if I had W8, seems like I would want to rip off my Win-key.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    880, hi !
    Looks like you do not even run W-8, that you go on hearsay.

I run W-8 on two of my machines and I like it a lot. It needs a spell to get used to it and any body with a little savvy in this binary world can do this. Have you tried, Can you ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have VT on any of my machines, so I've been unable to test W8.

If you know of a way to test it in a VM without VT, please share.

To be honest, I didn't think I would like W7 either, but so far I like it a lot... (with my sidebar added back in)

and before that, I didn't think I would like Vista... but I widdled that machine into a beast. (and learned to love the sidebar)

and before that... XP... (retroactively I put a sidebar in)

and 2K...

and ME...

but I KNEW Win98SE would be awesome!

Haha.

so maybe I am simply attached to the sidebar concept and can't fathom something removing it now..?

or maybe I don't understand having touch-screen adjustments made when I have no touch-screen PC to want them? the whole 'panel' idea I see in the pics and vids seems ridiculous to me. I like my millions of little icons. I can see all of them. I like my sidebar. The Sidebar is where all my 'active' stuff goes, not some animated panel on my non-desktop.

maybe I'll feel different if I ever get to use it... but I don't think so.

Quick questions. 2 word answers are all that is needed.

does W8 'see' W7 during install and properly leave W7 alone for dual booting?
    smallest partition for W8 to install? is 10Gig enough for OS only?

after writing this, you made me realize I hate new stuff until I try it. guess I'm cynical like that...?! Thanks for the lesson

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A thought here - Blue will almost certainly make some very significant changes, perhaps even as far as completely removing Metro and the Charms on computers, so IMHO it might not be worth investing the time and effort to learn Windows 8 in its current form unless you have a pressing requirement to do so.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    880, me again.
    Your answers : does W8 'see' W7 during install and properly leave W7 alone for dual booting?

I do not think so. Here I did a fresh install, a format of the HD first.

smallest partition for W8 to install? is 10Gig enough for OS only?

In my main machine, I use 36 GBs of a 500 GBs HD, this includes ALL of my apps along with the OS.
    All the keepers go to a USB HD, the 36 GBs is all the operating stuff.

No need to delete any of the W-7 stuff, not needed. Brace yourself now, I use this W-8 just like a W-7 machine. All the tiles are gone, the sidebar is still there but I never use it. I use a lot of Win-Key and Q to do any work here. We are all different birds of different feathers, just to say that I will stick with W-8 even if I do not have/use a touch screen. It is just another OS for me. Your use of the sidebar here is done on the Quick Launch. All same-same....I have 23 launchers on it. JP.

Thanks
    In order to leave Win 7 alone during a dual boot installation you would legally have to have a full version of Win 8, not an Upgrade version.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast