Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    * If I run IE from the Start screen, and I then right-click on a link and choose Open in new tab, it appears to work, but I can't find the new tab anywhere. It looks like the new tab functionality has been removed. Therefore I always run IE from the Desktop.
    When I was testing/looking about the tabs in Modern I.E. were in a drop down panel, little preview icons (more like the Chrome recently opened pages page) instead of actual tabs so they would be finger friendly and not get in the way quickly as one opened more "tabs."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    * If I run IE from the Start screen, and I then right-click on a link and choose Open in new tab, it appears to work, but I can't find the new tab anywhere. It looks like the new tab functionality has been removed. Therefore I always run IE from the Desktop.
    If Internet Options, General, Tabs, "Always switch to new tabs when they are created " is checked, then the new tab will be opened.

Otherwise you need to right-click again to see thumbnails of the new and all other tabs.

It all works the same but tabs are not on permanent display.

Bruce

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-05-15)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    If Internet Options, General, Tabs, "Always switch to new tabs when they are created " is checked, then the new tab will be opened.

Otherwise you need to right-click again to see thumbnails of the new and all other tabs.

It all works the same but tabs are not on permanent display.

Bruce
    Sounds like this would be more useful that what I have been doing -- when I open a new web page in a new tab, till now I have had to then click on the new tab to see the new web page. What you have described sounds like the new tab would become the default tab, saving me one step.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Before Windows, I wrote nice, neat little DOS menu's for my friends and customers.
    That's the way we did things, in 1980. Then Windows entered the scene and a desktop took the place of the old DOS menu's.

The whole idea of the desktop was having a shortcut to the programs that you need to run on a somewhat regular basis.

So there's a lot to be said for a neat, clean, desktop, but WHY? If you have to leave the desktop, to run the programs you need, then why have a desktop in the first place?:

This is a DOS menu, for a Floppy Disk.

Admittedly, I don't do a lot on Windows 8 (XP is my every day OS)
    But, here's my current W8 desktop.

I do hate clutter, so I try to keep the icons off of the center of my desktop, and only around the edges of the screen. When I get too many icons to fit in the border, I create a desktop folder and just call it Extra Stuff and put seldom used icons in there.

I have one 90 year old lady, (customer) who kept forgetting how to get to her solitaire game. I put a shortcut to Sol.exe on her desktop and you'd of thought I gave her a new puppy.....she was tickled silly.
    MS had a good idea, when they originally created the desktop and shortcuts.
    Just like on a real 'Desktop', everything you need to take care of business should be at arms reach.

I'm so Old School, that the very first thing I install on a new W8 setup, is the Classic Shell. Then I can quickly build a working desktop, that closely approximates Windows XP. My OLD customers like that.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    What city is that that you have on your Desktop?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What city is that that you have on your Desktop?
    That must be the Citadel of Gallifrey, can you not see the Panopticon?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like this would be more useful that what I have been doing -- when I open a new web page in a new tab, till now I have had to then click on the new tab to see the new web page. What you have described sounds like the new tab would become the default tab, saving me one step.
    Yes, if you want it that way, it's been a toggle (new tab in background or foreground) in Avant browser for maybe 6 or 7 years now? Lost track of exactly how long but I think most if not all have something similar now. I prefer not switching to the new tab upon opening (foreground) since I may open 3 or four links from one page as I read and don't want that process interrupted with the first new tab.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Yes, if you want it that way, it's been a toggle (new tab in background or foreground) in Avant browser for maybe 6 or 7 years now? Lost track of exactly how long but I think most if not all have something similar now. I prefer not switching to the new tab upon opening (foreground) since I may open 3 or four links from one page as I read and don't want that process interrupted with the first new tab.
    That's true.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    An observation or three...

The Start Button/Menu was not removed from Windows 8, is was intentionally crippled. This is not conjecture, it is verifiable by the fact that StartIsBack re-enables the Start Button/Menu using native Windows 8 code - there are no third-party services/processes running in support of StartIsBack.

My (shared) conjecture is that Microsoft intended to force users into the Metro UI in order to create a large enough base to encourage developers to write Apps for the Metro UI. It's just business. Microsoft builds a new revenue stream with the App Store. This also dovetails nicely into the subscription model for software that Microsoft is hinting so strongly about.

There are a number of us who are not enthralled with the idea of a loyal user base being treated somewhat like chattel.

I don't own an Apple computer (or anything else Apple, for that matter), and it seems that Microsoft is trying to become a bit Apple-ish. There are a number of us who are not enthralled with that notion, either.

And last but not at all least, it is just as acceptable to not like a concept as it is to like a concept.

Yes, I can use Windows 8, and the way I'm using it makes it more Windows 7 SP2 than Windows 8. The message is that I'm doing this in spite of Microsoft, not through Microsoft.

The major complaint, as I see it, is that this option could have easily been done through Microsoft in the OOBE, and had Microsoft chosen that route, these love it/hate it discussions would be a tiny whisper and hardly noticeable.
    I just installed StartIsBack on my Windows 8 computer, and amazingly I have a Windows 7 style start button and start menu!

I think I'm gonna survive Windows 8 after all!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, without a properly customized start menu I feel like I'm driving a car without tires. One other thing I wonder, how apps are ever going to overcome the power of the context menu, the inter-operability that provides on the desktop is nothing short of astounding to me now that I realize what I didn't properly appreciate when using the Modern interface apps instead. Depending on the file, a photo for example, I might have upwards of 25 options in the context menu, and most of them are useful, even an instant preview item since I overwhelmingly use details view and Windows does not handle all formats on its own like a good third party image program does.

Don't think it was Microsoft's intent but I admire the traditional Windows desktop integration even more now that I've been shown how far it really has come by comparison.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    880, hi !
    Looks like you do not even run W-8, that you go on hearsay.

I run W-8 on two of my machines and I like it a lot. It needs a spell to get used to it and any body with a little savvy in this binary world can do this. Have you tried, Can you ?
    W8 took me about 5 minutes to get used to -- that was about how long it took me to load StartIsBack.

The Charms are pretty easy to ignore. In fact, I don't mind having them. I really want to get used to dealing with them, because I'll have to deal with them when working on someone else's Windows 8 PC.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    W8 took me about 5 minutes to get used to -- that was about how long it took me to load StartIsBack.
    Going by that statement alone, I think it would be far more accurate for you to say it took 5 minutes to find a replacement Start button like StartIsBack so that you could actually begin to use Windows 8 and then go about learning how to use the default Touch Screen interface it boots into, which on a desktop without a touch screen and connected with Keyboard and Mouse, is about as useful as Teats are on a Bull. Microsoft's biggest mistake since the initial release of Vista imo and that's saying something!

The Charms are pretty easy to ignore.
    I actually agree with that comment.

In fact, I don't mind having them.
    Heh.. you've lost me again. I dislike them because they keep appearing purely because I might happen to move my mouse pointer to that area of the screen. Yes, I know you can turn them off - but the point of the exercise for me is to keep the machine in a configuration others using Windows 8 for the first time will have who might want help.

Are you suggesting that when working on someone else's Windows 8 PC your first suggestion is going to be to install StartIsBack or similar? Come now.. That's no worse than my having sent out newsletters to hundreds of my business clients, advising them to avoid Windows 8 (in it's current incarnation) like the plague and just buy machines preloaded with Windows 7 for the time being. Unless of course they want to transfer large amounts of cash from their bank accounts to companies like ours for basic support they'll almost certainly need, which would be a non issue if they just stick with what isn't broken for now.

I really want to get used to dealing with them, because I'll have to deal with them when working on someone else's Windows 8 PC.
    ..here we "kind of" agree again. Though if your purpose is to provide technical support to Windows 8 users, then why the installation of a third party utility like StartIsBack? It's precisely the reason I have NOT put a Start button on my installation. I have a box with Windows 8 Pro configured stock standard as Microsoft intended it to be when it booted up. No start button on my Win8 box at all [That big ugly screen with squares can't be called a "Start Button" by any stretch of the imagination imo] and after months of using and persisting with it now, I can still say with total honesty that in it's default configuration, Win8 is [imho] next to totally useless when used without a touch screen and only serves to negatively affect productivity in a huge way.

I (well, the company I work for) has been paid to format the thing out at some small business locations and replace it with Windows 7 already because of software conflicts and the radical changes it introduced in the general GUI which proved to only slow employee performance levels down.. and yes, a couple of them had a third party Start Button utility installed as well. People don't seem to be willing to spend the cash required to have external IT support reconfigure a brand new computer for their employees just so they can just use their machines with some sort of efficiency again - rather, many opt to pay to go back to what has worked for them perfectly well for years. An expensive lesson learnt for them and a mistake they're unlikely to make again.

For one thing, the Wireless networking on Win8 remains buggy as hell on some configurations, with many manufacturers (laptop's for example) being in no hurry to rectify their supposedly already certified drivers with ones that will actually work on existing wireless LAN configurations without having to jump through hoops to make it do so. I could list a ton of other problems with Win8 in business environments, but I'd just be repeating what's been said in these forums dozens of times already so what's the point

Cheers..

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben09880 View Post
    thank you for the posts on the charm bar. ..[snip].. if I had W8, seems like I would want to rip off my Win-key.
    Actually, the Win-Key is probably the most useful thing you can use on Windows 8.. it allows you to quickly move between a Mouse/Keyboard workable desktop and get away from that incredibly ugly default Metro joke they try to call a "Start screen" .. Your Win-Key on your keyboard is the last thing you want to get rid of imo :-)

Cheers...
    Last edited by Drewski; 2013-05-24 at 19:56. Reason: Fix minor typo

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Medico..

Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    In order to leave Win 7 alone during a dual boot installation you would legally have to have a full version of Win 8, not an Upgrade version.
    That's a pretty bold statement you've made there. Do you have a link to a ruling in a court of law to support that theory? Note that a EULA (in legal terms) is nothing than a guide to what the developer wants until it's content is tested in a court of law by someone with deep enough pockets to do so.

Cheers...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by - bill View Post
    I seriously doubt that there's ANYONE here who is incapable of using Win 8 as shipped without anything resembling a steep learning curve save possibly in a few obscure corner cases: many of us are just really annoyed that Microsoft took it for granted that we'd accept its 'take it or leave it' attitude when it could instead have made the transition an extremely smooth one with essentially no additional effort on its part. That's the kind of annoyance that doesn't tend to fade with time or familiarity, as Microsoft has learned over the past 6 months. Whether they've learned the right lessons, though, is yet to be determined.
    Great summary of my own thoughts. Couldn't have said it better myself. Kudo's to you for the way you explained it.

Andy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
    I had to do some research and spend several hours just experimenting before I could do everything.
    According to many Windows 8 lovers here, it should have taken you less than 30 minutes to figure everyting out and that it was the easiest thing in the world to figure our how to do everything you could do before, so you must be among the minority.

Note that I said according to "many Windows 8 lovers" there.. I can assure you that I'm not one of them - certainly not in Windows 8 current default configuration and without third party applications (like Start8 or similar) making it usable to folks who have happily used Windows desktops for several years now.

Cheers...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast