3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Transplanting Thunderbird from one machine to another

hello everyone;
    I need some help with Mozilla Thunderbird [MTB].
    I have two identical machines, this one of them where MTB, version 17.0.5 resides.
    It has the address book with the lists I created, my local folder containing the personal folders and sub-folders I created.
    I want to REPLICATE ALL of MTB in machine #1 into machine #2.
    Could someone please help me with the steps it takes?
    My first idea was to open C:>Program Files>Mozilla Thunderbird and copy everything there and paste into machine #2, but I believe it could be a mistake because there are registry settings that can not be transplanted directly (please confirm / correct this assumption / understanding).

Thank you very much in advance.

daniel rozenberg

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Ben09880 (2013-05-07)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thunderbird Source= Machine 1
    Thunderbird Destination= Machine 2

What I do in this situation is open Thunderbird Source.

1. Select the items you want and export them. You should be able to export your address book as a single file this way.

2. Select the emails you want to move over as well and export them. This will take longer depending on the amount of mail you have. Make sure you delete any spam or unwanted/un-needed mails before exporting, as this will speed up the export.

3. I'm not sure if profiles are exportable, as I generally re-enter the server information in each new email program (even if it is the same program but a different machine).

4. It may take some time, but you should be able to get the NEW to work just like the OLD in a couple of minutes (after the export/import is finished).

Go to Thunderbird Destination.
    Import each file.

While you could try other methods, I generally stick to using the tools built into the application.

I would open the Destination copy and confirm it syncronizes mail correctly and has everything you need and expect before ditching the original copy on the Source.

I use Thunderbird Portable now. It makes upgrading and moving the install a breeze. Copy the folder and move it. That's all there is to it. I have a client's email on a thumbdrive, and he regularly uses various machines for email. Never had a problem, although it does take an extra minute or two to shutdown the program (it visually appears to be closed, but still takes time to flush data back to thumbdrive- he waits for the light to stop blinking before shutdown).

Good luck! And remember, NEVER CHANGE the Source install until the Destination install is complete. This whole process should be done OFFLINE (so no new mail arrives while performing the steps) on BOTH machines. Only when you believe you have finished should you take the Destination machine online and check for mail. And only if there are issues on the Destination copy should you use the Source copy. You can and probably will lose mail if you don't heed this warning. Only if the option to 'leave mail on server when deleted' can you be safe in this situation. And I don't know your settings.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, that link is perfect!

I didn't know about the mozbackup utility! GREAT SHARE! ;D

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thank you VERY much for your guidance and assistance.

i'll give a try in the next few days and will report results / problems.

danielr.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    hello everyone;

well, thanks again for the VERY valuable help.
    initially, tried ton use the windows easy transfer, but (for some reason unknown to me), the mtb did not appear as a possible option to transfer.
    so,i used mozbackup, which did a beautiful job,not only for mtb, but also for mozilla firefox,my browser.
    actually, i am writing now this from the new machine,where everything was transferred.
    nevertheless, i will be using the windows utility for other stuff and files.
    AGAIN,
    m\y deepest appreciation for your help.

daniel rozenberg.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to danielr2 For This Useful Post:

bonalba (2013-05-09)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll second that approach, I use mozbackup as part of my backup routine, & have always used it to migrate all my firefox & thunderbird data to my new systems, & also to update my portable on the odd occasion when going away, & in return updating my main machine upon return, that data includes not only all your emails, address box, bookmarks etc, but also all your installed add-ons etc, been using it many years & never so much as a glitch, big props to the mozbackup crew for such a wonderful, simple & reliable solution.

Cheers

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

An easier way?

I do that almost weekly when I replace a customer's old XP system with a new one. Conditions: System disk from originating computer is free on my desk and with USB adapter (example) connected to the destination machine.

1. Install Thunderbird on the destination machine.

2. Copy TB's profile folder and all its contents from the old system's disk drive to the new system. All location info is here (Windows 8 equal to Windows 7).

3. Start TB on the destination machine and EVERYTHING is right there including saved passwords and so on.

Proven to work every time over and over again - even when the customer claims "I never had to have a password" - which about 2 out of 5 do quite regularly.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eikelein For This Useful Post:

bonalba (2013-05-23)