3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Networking an XP to Windows 8

Here's a weird one....

I have networked two older Windows XP computers to my new Windows 8 64-bit computer. I can share files between any of the computers.

The issue is that to do this I have to ENALBLE a PASSWORD on the Windows 8 machine. That is I have to have file sharing password protection turned ON and set a user password for logging in when I turn on the computer. I have no need in my small building with no outside threats to have anything on my wired (no wireless) network password protected. Of the few people in the building beside myself they have access to any files they need on any of the three computers.

As such on XP I never password protected boot up or file sharing. No need to do so.

On the Windows 8 PC if I turn OFF log in password protection at boot up and turn OFF password protection for file sharing I can't get the USERNAME / PASSWORD screen to come up on the XP computers. I can turn the Win8 PC on and log in without a password just fine but can't get into it from the other PCs.

I know I can set a simple password but I don't see why I can't connect between the computers when password protection is turned off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    BH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Try setting Windows 8 to automatically logon with your password. See Windows 8, How To Automatically Log On for instructions.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

rapper450 (2013-07-13)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dave,

Thanks............that will work. Not perfect as we will still have to log in from the other computers but we can live with that.

Much appreciated.
    BH

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Most likely you can eliminate that as well depending on the exact nature of the share. Adding the Everyone group to users in security properties for the share usually does the trick.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you mean:

<Drive>, Properties, Sharing, Advanced Sharing, Permissions:

"Everyone" is the only "Group or user name" shown.

"Permissions for everyone" has ALLOW checked for FULL CONTROL, CHANGE & READ.

This was the first thing I set up when I began the process of setting up sharing on the network.

I take it this is what you are referring to? If not can you elaborate further?

Thanks for the help.
    BH

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Close, same idea, except do it under the security tab, and its a bit of a treasure hunt to find the groups available; they are buried there though. Also it might work for whole drive share or it might not, generally the system drive won't work and Win 8 may have added security there. I know it still works for sharing on a folder level.

Security>Edit>Add...>Advanced>Find now>Everyone group....add and give full access privileges (this is for Win7 but I think its identical or nearly so to Win8.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-05-08 at 17:39.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N. downtown,

THANK YOU........Thank You..........thank you........... and thanks again !

"Security>Edit>Add...>Advanced>Find now>Everyone group....add and give full access privileges (this is for Win7 but I think its identical or nearly so to Win8."

was indeed the final piece of the puzzle. I can now access the needed drive from any of the XP machines with NO log in window popping up.

Perfect !!!

Did I say thank you?

BH