New Lounger
    Thanks

W8 Repair Disk (CD) will not boot

I have tried twice to build a CD repair disk for W8.

Each time the process seems to complete properly and I get a disk that looks normal using windows explorer.

In both cases the disk will not boot. The report during boot is something to the that a boot disk was not found.

Can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot this problem?

rec

Thanks
    I have not bothered with the Win 8 Repair Disk since I do not use Win 8 Backup and Imaging. To gain access to the Recovery Console I can use my Installation DVD which I built after I downloaded the Win 8 ISO file during my upgrade. Just pop in the Installation DVD and choose Repair My Computer rather than the Install Now link.

For Imaging, I use Acronis True Image 2013 and have created a boot disk with Acronis that allows me to boot my PC if Windows gets trashed. Most 3rd party Imaging apps require a user to create a boot disk for just this scenario, your PC will not boot for some reason. If this issue is caused by a trashed OS, then this works quite well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rec View Post

Each time the process seems to complete properly and I get a disk that looks normal using windows explorer.

In both cases the disk will not boot. The report during boot is something to the that a boot disk was not found.

rec
    Sorry for the obvious question, but is the computer configured to boot from the cd / dvd?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    You might also attempt to create a bootable USB thumb drive.
    I use them almost exclusively over and above CD/DVD, and they are very easy to create. Just ensure that BIOS is configured to recognize and boot to them.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a gigabyte board and using f12 during the boot allows me to select any boot device.

The machine will boot memtest 86 and other disks. This program is isolinux based.

I wonder if the problem is associated with the mb having an ueif bios.

I think I may need some guidance on configuring the bios.

rec

Thanks
    I wonder if the problem is associated with the mb having an ueif bios.
    I doubt it.

Pressing F12 during bootup may not be enough, you should also go into the boot section of your BIOS and specifically enable
    booting to CD/DVD drive. If you have previously done so you may need to take a closer look at HOW you are making your boot disk
    and try another method.

As for configuring the UEFI BIOS, dig up your original documentation or visit Gigabyte's website. But the simplest way would just be to explore
    the menus once you are in the BIOS
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI_Bootloaders regarding your "program". Some UEFI machines also provide BIOS emulation enabling.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rec View Post

rec
    Is it being configured as an EFI boot disk? It needs a file in the root of the CD named "bootmgr.efi" in order to be "seen" as UEFI enabled. Otherwise, it is not a bootable device to UEFI. It would have to be booted as a legacy device, which means invoking the boot options menu during boot.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I have not bothered with the Win 8 Repair Disk since I do not use Win 8 Backup and Imaging. To gain access to the Recovery Console I can use my Installation DVD which I built after I downloaded the Win 8 ISO file during my upgrade. Just pop in the Installation DVD and choose Repair My Computer rather than the Install Now link.

For Imaging, I use Acronis True Image 2013 and have created a boot disk with Acronis that allows me to boot my PC if Windows gets trashed. Most 3rd party Imaging apps require a user to create a boot disk for just this scenario, your PC will not boot for some reason. If this issue is caused by a trashed OS, then this works quite well.

Medico:

I tried your suggestion about using the DVD built from original Win 8 ISO. It worked fine.

I'm still concerned about why the repair disk MS built won't boot. I have followed Clint's suggestion and examined the disk. It contains 2 files bootmgr and bootmgr.efi along with 3 folders boot, efi, and sources.

rec

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post

For Imaging, I use Acronis True Image 2013 and have created a boot disk with Acronis that allows me to boot my PC if Windows gets trashed. .
    Have you done this on a Win8 pc and did you do anything special to get the Acronis recovery disk to boot.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    All I have now is Win 8. I use Acronis True Image 2013 (previous versions had problems with Win 8 although Acronis was working on v2012) I created my boot disk using the Acronis Create Bootable Media button.

I can either use Acronis from within Windows to create Images, or (as I do) boot to the bootable media then both create and restore my OS from the bootable media.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy