5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nitro ? No thanks.

I see now that this app. Nitro is advertising on this site. Even before this started, I had a look at it and ended up deleting it all. It will add to your machine so much bloatware, e.g.: yootoo and also conduit.com. It also takes over your browser and installs it own. Caveat emptor.

I ended up using the best part of one hour, removing it all, Regedit also came to the rescue. I hate anybody who thinks that his way of doing things ought to also be your way and takes over your machine on the pretense that you need it all along with the main Phishing app that one is trying to use.

Goodbye Nitro, up yours ! JP.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2013-05-08 at 09:11.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Nitro what? Nitro PDF Reader seems to install OK without anything horrible added...

(By the way, what are adverts? [Firefox with Adblock Plus])
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Thanks
    Never trust an advert; if you want to install something, download it from the authors site (currently down for the free version) or a reputable source (I check Majorgeeks first). I just downloaded and (custom) installed Nitro free x64, no sign of any toolbars or other unwanted bloat.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I kind of enjoy the game though I know I should not since it fools so many folks. I begrudgingly admire the ones that need custom install chosen in order to deselect adware items and the ones that allow deselection but where one also has to indicate Decline before moving on to the next page where the actual install of the target software takes place despite the "Decline." Some software aggregate sites are absolutely ridiculous now days though; requiring their downloader to handle the download with 10 other misleading download buttons is way over the line.

Often the "alternate download" is the company's own and doesn't go to Download.com or wherever the main link(s) lead.

Thanks
    An ad is an ad, and they should all be taken with a grain of salt, meaning, not to be trusted just because they are on this site.
    Although it helps (as far as our site is concerned) if someone is clicking on them from time to time.

Sometimes one is better off using BitTorrent than a website that has a slew of confusing download icon buttons everywhere.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    I do download a lot of software and I wholly agree with the OP, that you can go out to get one simple program and wind up spending hours getting rid of the tag-alongs, toolbars and other total CRAP.

I too use either Major Geeks or File Hippo, so I can get just one program, that I want, without a lot of extra junk that I DON'T want.

I wish there was some way that I could recover all the hours I've spent cleaning Garbage off of my PC.
    Sometimes, in total disgust, I just do a Ghost Restore to totally wipe out some Crapware.

The Revo Uninstaller Pro has been a real Godsend, for not only removing some program, but scouring the registry and getting rid of the Registry Entries for that program too.

Minus Crud is cool!

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!