5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Word 2010 vs. 2013: Feature showdown

BEST SOFTWARE

Microsoft Word 2010 vs. 2013: Feature showdown

By Katherine Murray

Microsoft, like many companies, lives by the upgrade sales model get previous customers to buy the "new thing," whether they need it or not.

Obviously, that's been a successful strategy; but with Office 2013, Microsoft seems to have its eye on newer users.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/best-softw...ture-showdown/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A good column, thanks. One addition: the standalone prices not only went up from 2010, but also there's no three-install version. For me and others with laptops and/or families, that's a big disincentive.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    A good column, thanks. One addition: the standalone prices not only went up from 2010, but also there's no three-install version. For me and others with laptops and/or families, that's a big disincentive.
    Thus the incentive to go with an Office 365 Home Premium subscription where you get right to install on five devices for one price.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Katherine, et al: Can you either answer or point me to somewhere to get the answers for the following scenario?

I have Office 2010 PRO on my laptop that I use in my consulting work (part of a boutique firm, 10 people) and for personal use. I use OUTLOOK (email, calendar, etc.) to access my consulting firms Exchange, hosted at Rackspace, and I also use a Blackberry (no snickering, please) for email, calendaring, etc. Office 2010 gives us most of what we need, although some of the sharing and collaboration capabilities might be nice.

I have 2 other laptops (wife, daughter) in household. Wife - no Office, Daughter - Office 2010 Pro, and an old desktop (XP with Office 2003 Pro).

Can I get the $100 rental Office365 for the entire family, download the Office2013 to all devices and use it EXACTKLY like I use Office 2010, i.e., WITHOUT using the cloud?
    Is that fact that I use my personal laptop for my consulting business a problem with the $100 rental version?
    Can I point the Office 365/2013 Outlook at the Rackspace Exchange server and Blackberry service just like I do with my Office 2010 Pro Outlook?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice/help you can provide.

Ken

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    1.) Can I get the $100 rental Office365 for the entire family, download the Office2013 to all devices and use it EXACTKLY like I use Office 2010, i.e., WITHOUT using the cloud? Office 365/2013 requires Windows 7 or Windows 8. Older versions of Windows will not work. You can use it like Office 2010 without the cloud.

2.) Is that fact that I use my personal laptop for my consulting business a problem with the $100 rental version? Officially the answer is that Office 365 Home Premium is not to be used for a business.

3.) Can I point the Office 365/2013 Outlook at the Rackspace Exchange server and Blackberry service just like I do with my Office 2010 Pro Outlook? Yes.

See Office 365 Home Premium for more information.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Thus the incentive to go with an Office 365 Home Premium subscription where you get right to install on five devices for one price.Joe
    Incentive? That's called strong-arming. And no, there's no incentive there for a 2010 owner, which was the point of the article. From your replies, it appears that your view is directly contrary to Katherine Murray's. Seems out of place given your role here.
    Last edited by highstream; 2013-05-10 at 11:18.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Talk about strong-arming! Say your current PC dies shortly after you have installed Office 2013. You are stuck! Microsoft will not allow you to then go install that same Office 2013 keycode on a new replacement PC! Up through Office 2010, that was still allowed, but not now. They are trying to force you to use Office 365 as a service, which fixes their cashflow problem, but causes other problems. What happens when the Cloud crashes? What happens when you cannot get to the Internet because your ISP service crashed?