5 Star Lounger
    Seattle, WA

Hard-drive crash! A tour of a data-recovery lab

Hard-drive crash! A tour of a data-recovery lab

By Lincoln Spector

When a hard drive crashes and there's no backup of critical data, what are your options? There's really only one and it could be costly.
    You send the broken drive to a company that specializes in data recovery; here's what happens when it gets there.

The full text of this column is posted at (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Hinsdale, IL, USA
    Impertinent question:
    Why is there no backup of critical data?

BackupBackupBackupBackupBackupBackupBackupBackupBa ckupBackup!

(Sorry -- a bit of hypoglycemia there.)

To clarify, 3-2-1 backups. Three Images. Two stored locally, and one off-site. Rotate Images weekly.

I've never had all three copies fail. Not as long as the computer hardware was still OK.

I would guess that smartphones are the weakest link in most people's backup strategy. I've been told that backing up an iPhone can be tricky if you want anything but your contacts and limited App Data. iCloud is nice, but there should be a better and more comprehensive solution. Android data backup varies by carrier, but most seem to be doing a decent job -- when their Cloud Backup servers don't fail (as has happened in a few cases). I'm not sure I have data worth $1,900.00, but maybe some folks see things differently.

VERY INTERESTING about the alleged change in hard drive data density, and the effect on drive wiping requirements. Is there another reference confirming this?
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-05-10 at 19:15.
    -- Bob Primak --