3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy confused with windows easy transfer [wet].

hello everyone;

i need a little of help.
    i have two identical machines running XP SPK3.
    in want to transfer desktop and user settings from the old to the new one.
    downloaded wet (the filei got is tfrcable_x86.exe).
    opened in old machine, marked what i wanted to transfer, and stored (a big file), into a usb flash drive.
    then when i plug the usb in the new machine, there is NO reference to get the data from the usb into the new machine.
    it tries to get files from THE NEW into the usb, but that's not what i want.
    is there something i'm missing?
    is it possible to solve the situation?

thanks in advance for your help and guidance.

daniel rozenberg.

Thanks
    Windows Easy Transfer was developed to transfer settings and data into Windows 7 or Windows 8. I don't believe you can use it to transfer settings into two xp machines. If the machines are identical, why not make a disk image of the old XP system and restore it onto the new one?

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think its just the opposite Jerry, its for XP to XP and Vista or Vista to Vista or in some cases and with restrictions, XP to Win 7, and Win 8 is not mentioned at all. There might be a separate process/method you are thinking of but tfrcable_x86.exe seems to be for what the OP is attempting.

The literature says to follow the on screen prompts as far as restoring the data to the other system so probably either it's not looking or being directed to the correct location of the data (like its just looking for a transfer cable instead of on the USB drive) or the data is not in a format or condition that the program is recognizing. Having never done it I'm only logically estimating what the problem might be so if someone familiar with the process pipes up, go with that. I couldn't find any known bugs or something like that.

Indeed if they were intended to be identical I would clone to the other drive and get ALL the functionality in the target system in one big step.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    hello everyone;
    yes,i was wrong.
    the utility only works XP >> W7.
    i'll try to do it some other way.
    nevertheless, thank you very much for the assistance.

daniel rozenberg.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    No you had the right file for XP to Vista the way it looks, not for XP to XP perhaps. The correct executable for XP to Win 7 is wet7xp_x86.exe.

Briefcase! Was that the transfer utility for XP to XP?

Thanks
    think its just the opposite Jerry, its for XP to XP and Vista or Vista to Vista or in some cases and with restrictions, XP to Win 7, and Win 8 is not mentioned at all. There might be a separate process/method you are thinking of but tfrcable_x86.exe seems to be for what the OP is attempting.
    No. Windows Easy Transfer was introduced with Windows 7 to help move People off XP and into Windows 7. It was continued to be supported in Windows 8. It does not support XP to XP transfers.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I was mistaken about the like to like, but its also a different executable for XP to 7, closely related though I'm sure. I looked up the native XP method and it's Files and Settings Transfer in system tools.

Thanks
    Daniel, As Jerry has already suggested, create an Image on the old machine, then restore that Image on the new machine. If the PCs are truly identical, with the same MBs, graphics, sound, etc. then this should work. If they are not truly identical then you might have some issues with drivers. I know the Acronis True Image 2013 Plus Pack (an additional charge) does allow Imaging to unlike PCs.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard is native in Windows XP (no need to download anything), and can be used in conjunction with a flash drive or external USB drive to transfer files and settings between two XP machines (or Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, etc. to XP). To use your flash drive, open the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in the target (new) machine, and follow the prompts. The first selection to make is to answer the question, "Is this your new computer or your old one?" In your case, you select "New Computer" and it will ask for the location of the stored files.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows