New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update service not running

A few months back I bit the bullet and replaced the boot drive on my VISTA. VISTA logs showed many errors but my analysis concluded that it appeared the HD controller was hanging or operations were timing out. That led me to SMART error logs that showed excessive sector relocating in 1 of the partitions. I use Acronis to image my drives. So bought replacement HD, mounted and restored images (HD partitioned to 4) All appeared to work OK. All my APs worked. Peachy.
    Then, after several weeks I opened Windows Update to do routing updates. (I'm still gun shy on installing patches on patch day. I'd prefer others find any errors)
    I bring up Windows Update, click Check for Updates and I get an error window stating "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer.
    Google search finds others have seen this but most can simply edit Services and set it back to auto run. It's running on my VISTA. Background Intelligent Transfer Service is also running. Nothing else I found seemed to apply. Also found an IT guy who'd imaged 5 Win7 PCs and 4 w/n run WU. I'm not alone.
    Swapping the original HD back confirmes that WU functions OK on that HD, so the issue is on the new HD. Since there's nothing wrong with the settings, and this error msg pops up immediately I know it's not from the MS site.
    Also, Windows Defender fails on update with error code 0x8000247
    Running Microsoft Windows Fix It shows issues found and offers to repair. Running repair results in "Fixed", but WU and Defender still fail to run updates. Same error msgs.
    Have 32 bit Vista Ultimate, SP2. Can't help but wonder if this error is somehow tied to VISTA activation.
    Help!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have your tried running "SFC /SCANNOW" from an elevated command prompt?

Have you considered a repair of the OS?

Does Windows say it is activated?

Joe

Thanks
    It might also be wise to run a Malwarebytes full scan:
    www.malwarebytes.org

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OS shows Activated. Ran Repair OS using Boot CD. No change. Ran SFC /SCANNOW. Results = "found corupt files but was unable to fix some of them. CBS.log is 6922 lines long (pasted in Word) Seems to post test results in groups named POQ. There are 115 of these. Most simply show EG
    POQ 36 starts:
    POQ 36 ends.
    2013-05-09 15:15:15, Info CSI 00000099 [SR] Verify complete
    2013-05-09 15:15:16, Info CSI 0000009a [SR] Verifying 100 (0x00000064) components
    2013-05-09 15:15:16, Info CSI 0000009b [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
    2013-05-09 15:15:20, Info CSI 0000009c Repair results created:

Which seems to me to say that it found nothing wrong. Others start a POQ and list either Move File source, Directory Created, Set File Information File and occasional Ignoring duplicate ownership for directory. The last line in the file "Repair complete" Looking through the POQ that listed data, I could not see anything implying something was detected and/or repaired. This is a dead end for me because the command prompt says corruption but the log seem not to ID any.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    100% sure this is not maleware, but yes, I ran my Malewarebyts routinely about a month ago. Several months after this issue happened.

Super Moderator
    Thanks