New Lounger
    Thanks

[Username] folder questions

Toshiba Satellite laptop, Win7.

I recently tried Gnucash financial software but then uninstalled it. Control Panel shows it gone. However, now my [username] folder contains several folders that have appeared alongside each other: Gnucash, .gconf, .gconfd, .gnome2, .gnome2_private. All seem related to Ubuntu, which is not on my computer. Can I delete these files, or are they needed for Win 7?

Further, the [username] folder now includes two separate folders labeled Desktop. They seem identical, but with the mysterious behavior of Libraries, I am afraid to mess with one in fear that they are really one and the same. It's confusing to have both, but would be worse to delete Desktop. Advice?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Regarding the gnucash folders, it's probably safe to delete them. I suggest you delete them, but keep them in your trash folder, reboot and check whether everything is working as expected.

As to the desktop folder, are the contents identical?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're not in a library and have each desktop folder open in a window and the address is different, then they are different folders; if the same, then obviously, the same folder.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both. The Desktop directors are not quite identical. I'll delete the older one.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I'll sequester the gnucash folders and delete the not-quite-current Directory folder. Very helpful.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

You could try installing Ccleaner to help clear out orphaned entries.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nebbel View Post
    Thank you both. The Desktop directors are not quite identical. I'll delete the older one.
    You should compare the contents of the two, to make sure that you aren't deleting something that you want that is contained in one of them.

Also, before deleting either of them, you should test to see which one is being used by Windows. An easy way to do that is to simply rename one. Then log out and log in See if everything works correctly. Then rename the first one back to "desktop", and rename the other one to something else. Then log out and log in, to see if everything works correctly.

If everything worked correctly both times, then I believe that you can safely delete either one. (My guess is that Windows is looking for the name "desktop" rather than some other identifier for the folder.) If, however, there were problems when you renamed one of them, then you know that that is the one Windows is using. You'll need to stick with that one.

Finally, rather than deleting the unused one, you could always rename it to something else. (You may have stuff in there that you want to keep.) In this way, it won't get used, and it won't get in the way of anything.

Speaking of renaming folders, this is a quick and easy trick for getting a program to recreate a folder. After uninstalling a program, rename some folder that the program needs, then reinstall the program. It will recreate it, giving you a fresh folder with no errors in it, and with your data intact (that is, if you want to save the data).