Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Distorted pictures everywhere

This problem has been plaguing me for a while. I have tried just about everything except throwing the computer out of the window.

This problem can hit just about any webpage that I load. I see the problem in Firefox and Chrome. IE is not affected. This is a brand new install of Windows, done about a week ago. I even completely uninstalled Firefox/Chrome and cleaned up the registry. I uninstalled/reinstalled Flash. I start Firefox in safe mode and the problem is still there. I went into Display Properties and disabled hardware acceleration. I've updated all the drivers.

I've posted to the Mozilla support forums with no luck. Did the same with Chrome, again no luck.

BTW, videos play fine (YouTube, etc.).

I drug a picture from the browser to my desktop, opened it with IrfanView and it's fine. Open with Firefox/Chrome it's distorted. Opens fine in IE.

Windows XP Pro SP3, Firefox 20, Chrome 26, IE 8

Thanks
    Do the pictures look ok in previous versions of Firefox and Chrome? Perhaps a previous version of each would fix the problem.

Perhaps XP is becoming a bit outdated, and therefore if you downgrade Firefox and Chrome, the previous versions will work better with XP on this issue.

Maybe a Windows update is the culprit; if so, the only way I can think of to find out which one is if you know which date the problem started. But since yours is a new install of XP, it will be difficult if not impossible to search it out by date.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-05-10 at 16:18.

Thanks
    It's been prevalent through several versions of Firefox. Don't exactly remember which version but it's been quite some time. Didn't notice about Chrome because I rarely use it, Firefox is my default browser.

One of the worst places is tvguide.com, that's a major mess when I view any pictures. Sometimes I see messed up pictures on my hompage, Google news. Sometimes the page is fine. Google news is usually fine, TV Guide is always a mess. Other webpages are hit and miss, sometimes fine and other times I get the distortion.

If I start the computer in safe mode with network support, Firefox will display pictures fine. Chrome doesn't work very well in safe mode.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If it works well in safe mode, that would point to a driver (graphics driver?) as the culprit. Do you have the latest driver version?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    If it works well in safe mode, that would point to a driver (graphics driver?) as the culprit. Do you have the latest driver version?
    Or a Startup program although I agree a driver is more likely.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Or a Startup program although I agree a driver is more likely.

Jerry
    Could be a program Jerry but, as you wrote, the driver is more likely.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    This problem was happening before I reformatted. After the reformat, I updated ALL drivers to the latest version. Didn't solve the problem. If it were a driver issue, one would think that IE would be affected too. But, it's not.

I don't remember exactly when this problem showed up. It's been prevalent through several versions of Firefox.

Start up programs are: Avast, Privatefirewall, WinPatrol, EaseUS Tray, KeePass 2 PreLoad, SpeedFan, Secunia PSI Tray, avast! Emergency Update.job, SmartDefragUpdate.job, SmartDefrag_Startup.job, Wise Care 365.job

When I first noticed the problem, I wasn't using Avast or Privatefirewall. I was using Comodo Internet Security. I didn't have Secunia installed. I didn't have WinPatrol or Wise Care installed. EaseUS and KeePass weren't installed either.

I thought that maybe some plug-ins/extensions in Firefox were to blame. So I uninstalled them and the problem seemed to go away. For a while that is, then the problem was back. I started with flash, problem was gone, then was back. I then uninstalled Download Helper, that seemed to fix the problem, then it was back. Did the same with Adblock Plus and NoScript. Same story.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you attempted to disable hardware rendering support within the BROWSERS?

If Internet Explorer is working correctly, with and without hardware rendering support activated, and every other program works correctly except Firefox and Chrome it is most likely (IMHO) hardware assisted rendering in the individual browsers.

Now if other programs sporadically have the same issue, I would think graphics memory is corrupting-> video card problem.

Do you have any overclocking software installed? Any video card tweaking package installed?

Approaching from the angle it is a video card bug somehow.

1. Any other software affected at any time besides Firefox and Chrome?

2. Does the problem change if you take the browser window fullscreen (not maximized, but fullscreen)?

3. Do you notice any change in the distorted graphics if you have a video file playing in the background?

If you answer "Yes" to 2 or more, it is probably a problem with your video card, or video subsystem (system-wide problem).

If you answer "No" to all 3, it is more likely a problem within the individual software
    (hence, I believe it to be the setting in each of the browsers responsible for utilizing hardware assisted rendering)

What is your video card?
    Do you have access to any type of video stress software? A 'super-uber-intense first person shooter', or a 'photo-realistic fish aquarium screensaver, or FutureMark3D, etc? I suggest running that for an hour or two and see if it graphically glitches.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Graphics are onboard.

Graphics
    Monitor
    Name SDM-HS95 on VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP
    Current Resolution 1024x768 pixels
    Work Resolution 1024x738 pixels
    State Enabled, Primary, Output devices support
    Monitor Width 1024
    Monitor Height 768
    Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
    Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
    VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP
    Device ID 1106-3108
    Revision 2
    Subvendor Biostar Microtech Int'l (1565)
    Current Performance Level Level 1
    Driver version 6.14.10.364
    BIOS Version 98.F0.00.62
    Memory 64 MB
    Count of performance levels : 1
    Level 1
    OpenGL
    Version 1.2
    Vendor S3 Graphics
    Renderer VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP/MMX/SSE
    GLU Version 1.2.2.0 Microsoft Corporation
    Values
    GL_MAX_LIGHTS 8
    GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE 1024
    GL_MAX_TEXTURE_STACK_DEPTH 10
    GL Extensions
    GL_ARB_point_parameters
    GL_ARB_multitexture
    GL_EXT_blend_color
    GL_EXT_blend_minmax
    GL_EXT_blend_subtract
    GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
    GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
    GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
    GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3
    GL_ARB_texture_env_add
    GL_EXT_texture_env_add
    GL_EXT_secondary_color
    GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
    GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat
    GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
    GL_EXT_fog_coord
    GL_ARB_transpose_matrix
    GL_EXT_separate_specular_color
    GL_EXT_rescale_normal
    GL_ARB_window_pos
    GL_EXT_draw_range_elements
    GL_EXT_abgr
    GL_EXT_bgra
    GL_EXT_packed_pixels
    GL_EXT_paletted_texture
    GL_EXT_vertex_array
    GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
    GL_WIN_swap_hint
    WGL_EXT_extensions_string
    WGL_ARB_extensions_string
    GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
    GL_ARB_texture_compression
    GL_S3_s3tc
    GL_EXT_bgra

No other software is affected. Just Firefox and Chrome. The problem doesn't change running the browser full-screen. Hardware acceleration is turned off in both browsers. Not overclocked. No change to the view with a video playing in the background.

As I said earlier, this problem doesn't affect Internet Explorer. From my Google searches, I don't really find anyone else experiencing this type of problem. GAAAAAAAAAAA!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have to think it's the graphics and the way Firefox and Chrome render pages vs. the way I.E. 8 does. The only other thing I can think of is a color profile in color management is affecting them for some reason. Mostly I would suspect the Unichrome graphics with just 64 MB of memory; FF and Chrome were never intended to run on 10 year old graphics subsystems that were of very basic quality even then.

Thanks
    Here's something that no one has mentioned (unless I missed something someone said):

Some websites are set up to work just fine with IE, but they don't work well with other browsers. In other words, people make sure that their website works well with IE, but they don't make sure with the other browsers.

In fact, in some cases it seemed that Microsoft was colluding with some companies to get them to do the above. autodesk.com comes to mind.

This was a problem around 2003-2004. There may still be some of this sort of thing going on.

I know that in the past you had no problem with Firefox, but now you do.

My mind tells me that it's not what I have just described, but my gut tells me that it might be.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am convinced it is drivers.

Can you please tell me exactly what motherboard you have?

A BioStar.... K8M800? Rev 2? Dated 2002? etc.

Must be one of these three:
    IDEQ 220K
    K8M80-M7A
    K8VGA-M

and the correct manufacturer supplied driver should be:

ftp://ftp.biostar-usa.com/drivers/vi...49_WIN2KXP.EXE

You say this is a fresh install, and you updated all the drivers... but there are almost always devices that need drivers that Windows is unaware of until a driver is loaded.

Did you actually use your original driver CD that came with the motherboard? Did you CANCEL all automatic "found new hardware" screens upon first boot up of the new OS? Did you load up the original driver CD drivers FIRST, BEFORE Windows update kicked in and changed them?

Most importantly, did you load the drivers in the order the manufacturer tells you to?

Did you install DirectX correctly?

Have you upgraded IE yet?

Have you tried using an extension that loads pages IN firefox USING the IE engine? If so, still got the problem?

Sounds like your board is old enough to require an AGP miniport driver... do you have a physical AGP slot on the board, or only PCI? If only PCI, then the AGP circuitry is built-into the motherboard and video chip. Built-ins tend to share circuitry with neighboring components. Perhaps 3rd party web browsers are the only software available on your machine that are capable of exhibiting this behavior in the first place. That is why I asked if you had any 'intense' graphical programs to run for testing purposes.

I need your motherboard make, model, revision, and date. I also need your BIOS revision code (the whole code) and date.

Can you attach a listing of the devices in your Device Manager? It could be a pain to type, you might want to screenshot it (could take a couple) and post that instead.

I also need to know if the device drivers of your built-in components are all stamped by Microsoft... what I mean is, who is listed as the provider in the driver detail tab? If it lists Microsoft, you aren't using the original drivers provided by your manufacturer... We need to establish that the original hardware manufacturer drivers have the same issue.

Windows Update likes to screw up drivers, IMHO. At least this is true on XP still.

The manufacturer of your motherboard has at least 3 different motherboards with the same numbers... only the last digit and/or the revision # is different. WU has a hard time figuring out that a K8M800N is not the same as K8M800, so I need those motherboard numbers/revision info.

To explain my reasoning, as re-reading this post, you probably will get upset at me 'harping' on the drivers....

Your machine seems to be of old enough vintage to have these types of problems that I am familiar with.
    Ac'97 sound codec drivers are notorious for being broken by WU, as an example.

I have personal experience with VIA/S3 issues. IME, it is generally the AGP miniport driver (a device that may never appear as requiring a driver, as Windows doesn't 'see' it as a device by default. Certain graphical commands expect the miniport, but it is completely unnecessary to load the miniport driver if you never utilize the ability. You may notice this 'bug' in only those browsers because no other software you use manipulates graphics in that way.

Older machines don't have AGP, so no miniport driver. Windows XP doesn't take it for granted the circuitry is present, so it never checks. Only the driver installation procedure allows Windows to 'see' it, and even then, only because the driver is directly calling it with no assistance.

My wording could be a little wrong, but the concept is spot on AFAIK.

Others will definately correct me if I'm wrong...

Don't try changing drivers around now, just tell me what your situation is.
    Last edited by Ben09880; 2013-05-14 at 14:02. Reason: added driver dl and mb names

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    the driver I linked you to is the latest driver put out by your motherboard manufacturer, (as this is on board the motherboard)

DriverVer=10/07/2004, 6.14.10.0180

Your post lists yours as:

Driver version 6.14.10.364
    Last edited by Ben09880; 2013-05-14 at 14:11.

Thanks
    I guess it must have been something to do with the onboard video. Shut the computer off today and cleaned (blew) it out. When I fired it up again.......... no post, nothing at all. Monitor showed no signal. I said screw it and went out an bought a brand new computer. No problems now.

Thanks everyone for your help. Greatly appreciated it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear your machine went bust...

kinda wish we were local to each other so I could tinker with it...

Hope the purchase of a new machine didn't cause too much suffering...

Just curious, what machine did you purchase? Brand, make, model, specs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast