New Lounger
    Thanks

Dual boot or vmd of win7x86 on winx64 64 system to run legacy scanner?

Hi, this is my first post. I already read similar topics on this board but feel my situation is different.

I just bought a high volume A3 Ricoh scanner (quite a beast) to scan some oversize books and get caught up on general document conversion, which is now outdated and x64 drivers are not available. There is a driver which appears to be a 2007 vista 32 bit driver they list as working for win7 32 bit also. Since I have had mixed result with 32 bit drivers on my little desktop canon sheetfeed scanner, I am considering some kind of dual boot, a virtual machine, or in the worst case, set up a dedicated machine just to run the scanner with.

Will a winx86 virtual machine with 32 bit twain or isis scanner drivers run on a windows 7 x64 host system?

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burntchip View Post
    Hi, this is my first post. I already read similar topics on this board but feel my situation is different.

I just bought a high volume A3 Ricoh scanner (quite a beast) to scan some oversize books and get caught up on general document conversion, which is now outdated and x64 drivers are not available. There is a driver which appears to be a 2007 vista 32 bit driver they list as working for win7 32 bit also. Since I have had mixed result with 32 bit drivers on my little desktop canon sheetfeed scanner, I am considering some kind of dual boot, a virtual machine, or in the worst case, set up a dedicated machine just to run the scanner with.

Will a winx86 virtual machine with 32 bit twain or isis scanner drivers run on a windows 7 x64 host system?

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
    Most VM software should allow you to run USB scanners with some effort, although I have never faced the situation of the usb peripheral not being recognized by the host. I guess you'd need to try. VMWare player and VirtualBox (PUEL edition) support USB peripherals, as does Windows XP mode, which you have natively available on Windows 7, except in the Home edition. I can't really say which one has the potential to work better on your situation, so maybe wait for someone with more experience to reply, or just start experimenting...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Does Windows recognise the scanner at all? There may be drivers that will work ready to go.

cheers, Paul