3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Task Scheduler Problem

Back in Windows XP there was an icon in CONTROL PANEL for SCHEDULED TASKS.

In Windows 8 this tool has been moved to ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS and renamed TASK SCHEDULER.

I've just brought a new Windows 8 PC online and am trying to recreate all the scheduled tasks I had on the old XP computer. For the most part these were Word documents and Word would open with the specific document at the scheduled time.

I have successfully created tasks but when they are highlighted and I select RUN they don't appear on screen. However if I click on SHOW ALL RUNNING TASKS they show up in the list as running.

As a simple test I just set up a task to start Internet Explorer. Again it shows as running in the list but it does not open the program on screen.

I know there are a lot of things I might be missing here and shy of telling you how EVERYTHING has been selected in TASK SCHEDULER I don't know if anyone can help on this.

This was all so simple in XP..........sheesh!

Thanks,
    BH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Are you configuring the tasks to run only when the user is logged on?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried it both ways..............when logged on and when not logged on.

Thanks for the help.
    BH

Administrator
    Thanks
    I actually tried it and I had no issues making tasks run. Choosing logged on won't make the tasks run in the background, which will happen if that is not chosen. Have you checked to see if the programs started by the tasks are actually running?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks........that helped. I can get them to run now. I noticed I hadn't selected WINDOWS 8 as the system type.

However...........while Word is opening it is opening without the word file opening......Just a blank Word screen with no document open.

This is a good start though. I'll try it with Notepad and Wordpad and see if I can get the messages to open in those.

Thanks again,
    BH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdavis View Post
    Thanks........that helped. I can get them to run now. I noticed I hadn't selected WINDOWS 8 as the system type.

However...........while Word is opening it is opening without the word file opening......Just a blank Word screen with no document open.

This is a good start though. I'll try it with Notepad and Wordpad and see if I can get the messages to open in those.

Thanks again,
    BH
    You can add arguments to a program (such as word) and thus make the program use the arguments. For a word document, you would add the full path of the document as an argument and that should do what you want.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FINALLY.........got it working.

Turned out my biggest problem was there were spaces in my folder and file names. That is: SCHEDULED TASKS instead of SCHEDULED_TASKS.

It worked fine with the spaces between words in XP but turns out for some reason Windows 8 only sees the first word so if there is a space it can't find the file. Once I sorted that out I was able to get it working. There may be a setting to change somewhere to adjust this but I just renamed the files and folders appropriately.

Thanks everyone for your help. Very much appreciated.

BH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad to know you got it working .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I've been messing around with this for days & and was doing the same thing, omitting the underscore. And now it all works.