New Lounger
    Thanks

Formula shown instead of value (Off2kP / sp1)

Sometimes, when the going gets tough, (i.e. the sheet gets complicated) cells do not display their value any more but the literal formula instead. This is sort of sticky i.e. I paste a perfectly good formula from somewhere else, and as soon as I edit it this "feature" strikes, the resulting number is no longer displayed but the formula instead, as if I'd put a ' (single quote) in front of it. Cells that refer to these "freak" cells display the formula text as well, and cells that try arithmetic show an #VALUE! error. If I edit the offending formula back to the original that worked before, the behaviour remains. What should I do, just blame Bill and do my work with pencil and paper again?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formula shown instead of value (Off2kP / sp1)

Check and make sure that th eformat of the offending cells is not set to Text. Try setting th e format to general and see if the problem persists.

Andrew C

New Lounger
    Thanks

Nope, that's not it. I've played around with cell formatting, to no avail. It looks like a bug to me, was just wandering wheter there was a known workaround.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you just change the format to General after the formula was entered into the cell? That will not change the formula from text to formula. You have to change the format to General, then select the cell, press F2 or click in the formula bar, then press enter to re-enter the formula.
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

OK, that did the trick. I still think this kind of behaviour is at least bizarre. I decided to run the sheet in Gnumeric yesterday after I got completely **** off about Excel and it worked just fine.
    Seb