5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 2007 Solver "timeouts"

I'm running a worksheet that is optimizing 40 elements. It runs cases for a while and then tells me it's used up it's allocated time, and do I want to continue/stop/or end. I hit "continue" and it keeps on trucking fofr awhile, and then asks me again. So, basically, I have to sit in front of my screen and babysit the job to it's completion.

My question: is there some way to change a aparam or something in Solver so I can give it much more time to run, and I can give up my babysitting job?

Thanks for any help offered,
    Dick

Thanks
    Solver - options - Max Time (seconds)
    according to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.10).aspx the max time allowed is 32,767 which is over 9 hours. The default is 100 secs.

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Steve. I'm not an Excel guru; and I would appreciate knowing where/how I set that Max Time option.
    Sorry for such a basic question.
    Thanks,
    Dick

Thanks
    I thought I had answered where and how...
    To be more explicit. In the DATA on the far right you will find the solver button. Press it
    In the Solver parameter dialogue the is list of buttons down the right. Near the bottom is one named OPTIONS. Press it
    In the tab named ALL METHODS is a section called "Solving Limits" the top one is the "Max Time (seconds)"
    Enter a value for the number of seconds then press the OK button at the bottom.

[I had abbreviated the above with "Solver - options - Max Time (seconds)". The link I listed gives some code help for VB if desired]

Steve

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sdckapr For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-05-11)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Steve. As I said, I'm not very well versed in Excel innards. Thanks for taking the time to spell it all out for me.
    I did what you suggested. It's late now while I'm typing this response. I'll give my Excel Solver program a go in the morning, and most likely report back my success, thanks to you.
    Best,
    Dick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Steve. I made the change you suggested, and it works like a charm. No more babysitting as Solver chugs away for me.
    Best,
    Dick