Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Software to improve PC performance

Is there any good software that anyone can recommend that I can use to improve the performance of my PC which is 4 years old?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, without knowing more about the machine and specifications, it will be quite difficult to assist you.

Also, some of the better tools to accomplish such a task require a skill-set that is impossible to know you have already- I'm new and don't know you. (no offense intended, standard disclaimer for this type of task)

If your machine is currently using Aero desktop effects, you can generally expect a noticable speed boost if you disable it.

If your machine is using 16 bit color or 32 bit color, sometimes switching to the other one increases speed.

If your machine's HD indicator light is on more often than off, you may want to look into increasing your RAM (whether by buying more RAM and installing it, or by cutting down on the amount of programs running at any one time).

You may also need to defragment your drives.

Got a spare USB drive? See if you can enable ReadyBoost on it. don't immediately go out and try this if you don't already know about it, there are certain pitfalls to be weary of

These are all 'standard-fare' speed up suggestions... to get more specific, you need to be more specific.

I regularly work on machines ranging from DOS through every version of Windows, up to and including 7. There are ways to get even a lowly 486 CPU to decode 720p videos in realtime in DOS, if you know how.

Thanks
    Run MSConfig and click on the Startup tab. Disable as many items as you can. If you don't know if an individual item should be disabled, Google it or use a resource like http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

One item that will help is:
    Windows key + pausebreak
    Advanced Settings
    Advanced Tab
    Settings Button under Performance
    Set the Custom radio button and Uncheck all the animation and fade items or simply set the adjust for best performance Radio Button.

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardC View Post
    Is there any good software that anyone can recommend that I can use to improve the performance of my PC which is 4 years old?
    HowardC,
    Hello... There are several software programs that could be of some help .. .I would not fall for any of these that advertise "Speed up your PC Blah, Blah for only.....$$$$" As the other posters have stated ...good advice...I will offer my 2¢

1. CCleaner (Free) to remove any "Temp files" lurking on your PC ...If you're "feeling lucky today" you could even run their "Registry Cleaner"

2. I have a PC that is over 7 years old ..That runs just as well as my new PC ( My Test PC that has 32 and 64 bit windows 7 on it) as well as my main multi-Boot UEFI PC )The PC's speed can be affected by ( not limited to) the amount of RAM that you have installed , Things that are enabled at start up, whether you have a 32 or 64 bit OS.

3. My thought the age has not much to do with anything ( except for me personally ) PC wise... Unless there is something broken ( again like me) If you use your PC for the everyday stuff, and are not working for NASA computing "Space Station Launches" your PC should be running OK.

4. I have XP and 7 \ 64 on the same PC with essentially the same software and the XP Pro SP-3 ( except for booting up ) is just as fast .

5. So unless your a "Gamer" you really don't need special software to keep your PC "up to snuff" just a few "Tweaks" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2013-05-16)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've worked my way through the Tweakhound (http://tweakhound.com/windows7/index.htm) site and managed to make my older desktop hum right along. Check the index and, depending on your OS, he has all kinds of suggestions to speed up your machine.

Best,
    Dick

Thanks
    Stopping most of the apps that start with Windows is one of the easiest ways to speed up a PC. There are 2 apps I use.

What's In Startup: A nice little app for just this purpose.

Autoruns for Windows: Much more intensive app with lots of info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    For years, I tuned up PC's (mostly xp) manually, by going into Services.msc and shutting down all the services that I thought I'd never need. There is a good list of services that can be disabled on the "Black Viper" website.
    Then I learned how to incorporate all those services into one single batch file, that only takes a few seconds to run.

The same with several registry tweaks that can almost double the efficiency of Windows. I now have those in a single registry script for quick and easy application.

It's somewhat amazing, actually, how many of those Tweaks work not only for XP, but for Vista, Win-7 & Win-8.
    All the Windows OS's since XP are more alike than even most 'experts' think.

It's akin to the old saying, "why reinvent the wheel?"

All my speed up tweaks, since XP are on my web site.
    http://www.drwho.in

Use them in good health. Many are Tech-tools and not for the novice.

Cheers Mates.
    The Doctor

I've not found an easy way to automate this speed up tweak:

Shorten the Boot Time in XP, Vista & Windows 7 & 8

Go to the start button, choose run, then type msconfig and press Ok.
    On the system configuration window, choose the "Boot.INI" tab.

Check “No Gui Boot”, then lower the timeout to a more manageable time.
    I choose 3 seconds in stead of 30. (windows won’t accept a lower number than 3)

Next choose advanced options.
    This is where you can choose how many processors you have.
    Most modern PC's are duo core (2 processors) with some quad core (4 processors)
    then choose OK. The Windows default is only 1 core.

Now choose apply and OK, reboot and you should see a marked decrease in boot time,
    And Increase in Run-Time efficiency.
    Last edited by DrWho; 2013-05-12 at 17:34.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks

Cool Clean up your JUNK!

In my PC service work, I regularly find PC's that have not had any real maintenance in several years.

I run several programs to find and remove UN-Necessary files.

I've seen my own XPCleanup.bat program (batch file) remove over 100,000 old temp files, Temporary Internet Files, backup files, old restore points, etc.

Then there are programs that have been installed, , , some came with the PC, , , that have never been used and will never be used. Those can all be UN-Installed. In the past, I've spent several hours, just cleaning up a PC's hard drive, because often times, many reboots are required.

We've discussed (many times) running window's Disk Cleanup program in Extended Mode, so I won't repeat that here.

Finally when you think you've removed every file that you can safely get rid of, a complete defrag will help the Hard Drive work more efficiently.

One tool that I use most effectively to rid my HD and registry of garbage, is the "Revo Uninstaller Pro". It will remove a program then scour the registry for left over entries and remove those too.
    I just bought a new subscription to it today, for $19.95. I use it often! You can use the Free Trial to clean up one PC.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2013-05-12 at 17:52.

Thanks
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-05-13 at 04:03.

Thanks
    @SpywareDr, the link you posted seems to not work. I attempted a fix. Please check to see if this is what you wanted. Since I am not sure which thread you were referring to on the Lounge, I linked to the Soluto site rather than trying to find the thread you attempted to link to.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-05-13 at 04:05.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardC View Post
    Usually less software, not more. After 4 years I recommend a format & clean install.

It's also about the time to re-evaluate ones current software listings, get the most up to date core drivers, and last
    but not least, download any and all windows updates and service packs with the minimum of interaction issues.

Clean install the OS, then update the OS through WU, then install the updated drivers you downloaded BEFORE clean installing.
    Then install your core set of personal use software.

You may want to perform a drive image somewhere after the clean install, before or after Windows Updates, or even
    after you've updated your drivers, then once again after you've installed all your choice software.
    This way you'll have images of varying degrees of fresh OS to fall back on instead of starting from scratch.

Dr Who offers some excellent advice, but it should be done far more frequently than 4 years.

After the above, if you find your still coming up short in terms of performance, you might consider some key hardware upgrades,
    like a SSD drive or adding more memory, even an upgraded processor if you plan to keep the system for another 4 years.

Getting ones house (computer) in order FIRST, will always be paramount to any hardware upgrade though.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post

@SpywareDr, the link you posted seems to not work. I attempted a fix. Please check to see if this is what you wanted.
    Thanks Medico.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Shorten the Boot Time in XP, Vista & Windows 7 & 8

Go to the start button, choose run, then type msconfig and press Ok.
    On the system configuration window, choose the "Boot.INI" tab.

Check “No Gui Boot”, then lower the timeout to a more manageable time.
    I choose 3 seconds in stead of 30. (windows won’t accept a lower number than 3)
    No GUI Boot will also hide error messages and Check Disk progress: No GUI Boot tweak

Timeout has no effect for most people as it only applies to multiple operating systems.

Next choose advanced options.
    This is where you can choose how many processors you have.
    Most modern PC's are duo core (2 processors) with some quad core (4 processors)
    then choose OK. The Windows default is only 1 core.

Now choose apply and OK, reboot and you should see a marked decrease in boot time,
    And Increase in Run-Time efficiency.
    The Windows default is for nothing to be checked at Advanced Options (so unrestricted).

MSconfig is a troubleshooting utility and doesn't do anything useful for routine startup:

System Configuration is intended to find and isolate problems, but it's not meant as a startup management program.

All my speed up tweaks, since XP are on my web site.
    http://www.drwho.in
    None of the links from that page work.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-05-13 at 11:00.

Thanks
    You certainly win the trophy, for "NaySayer of the month".

Your information is seriously flawed.

I'm actually Glad, that you can't get to my web page.
    It's currently under Renovation, by my webmaster. Sorry about that.

Last edited by DrWho; 2013-05-13 at 13:37.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You certainly win the trophy, for "NaySayer of the month".
    Thanks!

Evidently, your browser is as flawed as your information.
    I tried several browsers. What's flawed about my information?

I'm actually Glad, that you can't get to my web page.
    Er, thanks.

Bruce

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast