Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It should also be noted that end users that do not 'try' software out often won't generally have these types of problems.

A client of mine it still using the original Windows 98 SE install from 1999. Nearly no software has been installed in all these years. About the only thing that has changed is the hardware... been using a Ghost image to transfer the data over as the hardware dies. And it should be noted that the hardware has died only twice. And the client's location is extremely dirty, dusty, and filled with metal shavings.

The machine is removed every 4 months and blown out.

The harddrive is never defragged anymore- no need. Nothing is really changed too often... Just new data written as needed.

I'm not sure if my story applies to the conversation, per se, as the hardware all died around the Windows, not the other way around. But he is still using the same original install. We have not re-installed anything since discovering Ghost during a major melt-down.

Windows never died, the hardware died. Most users will never have this sort of luck- we go on the internet and that thrashes the filesystem... my client's software is very specific and sticks to its own files.

Your Mileage Will Vary- this client never 'uses' 90% of the computer power/resources/hard drive. As a result, it never gets screwy. Filesystem is nearly exact same bit for bit as from 10 years ago. It is a very special case.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben09880 View Post
    It should also be noted that end users that do not 'try' software out often won't generally have these types of problems.
    You've just described the vast majority of the business environment. Systems are used for the same tasks day in and day out, in many cases 24/7, and new programs are seldom if ever "tried". Hardware is replaced, but Windows just keeps cruising along, with never a reformat/reinstall. Windows XP had a ten year reign at a company for whom I often do non-IT contract work. They completed their transition to Windows 7 last August, in conjunction with their company-wide hardware upgrades. I'm talking thousands of PC's worldwide.

Typically, users create their own problems more often than not. My main issue with the reformat/reinstall dance is that it doesn't teach anything other than how to reformat/reinstall. I feel that users are much better served in trying to learn the root causes of problems and how to prevent recurrence. The more experienced users become, the fewer problems they experience, and the more capable they become in recognizing and dealing with many of the more typical problems one might encounter.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    These days, if a corporate user has serious issues with his work PC, typically the PC is reimaged and the user is up and running in around 15 minutes. In this way, IT doesn't have to spend a bunch of time fixing the problem.

And to reduce the occurrences of these problems, often a "managed" environment is deployed, preventing most of the things users do which cause problems.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    These days, if a corporate user has serious issues with his work PC, typically the PC is reimaged and the user is up and running in around 15 minutes. In this way, IT doesn't have to spend a bunch of time fixing the problem.

And to reduce the occurrences of these problems, often a "managed" environment is deployed, preventing most of the things users do which cause problems.
    The company I'm using as an example is also where I worked for almost 32 years. Their main problems have always been occasional hardware failures, with forgotten passwords sprinkled in. There are no serious Windows issues. And they're not as locked down as one might expect. Before the advent of Windows, there were dumb terminals to a remote mainframe. The IT staff was much larger then.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Two jobs ago, I worked at a major oil company. They went to a managed environment - tightly locked down. And they contracted with a hardware vendor for PC hardware issues. The hardware vendor was completely responsible to make sure that the designated number of PCs were up and running at all times.

In my current job, we have a Citrix (terminal server) environment that users can log into, although it is not required. The Citrix environment is totally locked down, so much so that not even audio is allowed (I think this is to address bandwidth issues).

Thanks
    The company I'm referring to is not nearly so locked down. If an employee wants music, they must supply their own speakers, but they can bring in a huge music library on USB and copy it to their desktop PC. Not an issue. Use of the internet is not restricted (at least, not to anywhere I've visited - there may be some restrictions of which I'm not aware).

Unleash Windows

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123