New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live Mail account creation

Hi, I have created a Windows Live Mail account but when I try to sign into the account, Microsoft helpfully just tells me that I need to verify the account (by opening the validation email) saying "Call us overprotective but we need to verify that <my WLM email address> is yours". I'm wondering if there was a (very small) window in which I should have tried to get to the validation email and now that has closed. So I'm stuck. Oh by the way I'm using Windows 7.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW I didn't make it clear I see, that the point is that Microsoft won't let me into my email. I want to get into my WLM mail account so I can validate it and then start using it. Sounds pretty simple doesn't it...

Thanks
    Hi harrydanger, if you gave an alternate address when your account was created, look in it.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks roderunner for the thought but, that wasn't the case (and I have checked my alternate email inbox in case my memory is bad).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try this:

1. access your account at https://account.live.com/password/reset

2. Enter you Microsoft account and the characters you see in the picture.

3. Click on "I cannot use any of these options"

4. Provide an alternate email where the password reset link will be sent and hit "Next"

5. Provide account information to validate your account and click "Submit"

6. Check the alternate email you provided and you can reset your password (If you passed the validation procedure)

Bruce

Thanks
    Or, just give up on MS as a bad deal, and set up a new email account at Google. (GMail)

I do that for all my customers who are having issues with their current email accounts.

And, you can receive your GMail at almost any email program that you want to use.

I'm currently using Outlook Express 6, on Windows XP and Windows Mail on Win-7 and Win-8.

I like the pure simplicity of those two email programs. The latter being almost identical to the former.
    The more complicated an email program is, the more likely it is to fail.
    MS Outlook, was/is a real mess.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    MS Outlook, was/is a real mess.
    Works fine for me, at home and work (as does Windows Live Mail).

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bruce,

I followed the procedure and... ended up at a page (a Microsoft page)('account summary') which says my email address has not been verified... I don't know if it would work if I tried to close the account and open an account with the same address again... Rick

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well of course, there was no way Windows Live was going to let me close my account, after logging in. Rick

Lounger
    Thanks

Just say no

I have been a Microsoft user since its inception and I normally don't write comments that are just meant to be negative. I am making an exception here because I can think of nothing positive to say about signing up for a Microsoft Account. It is a garbled, confusing and confounding "mess." They have renamed the "account" process so many times that you need a manual to help you find all the places you might have created an account. I had live mail with hotmail.com and it worked fine then they changed it to outlook.com. When I tried to delete the old hotmail account and get it off my PC it was like pulling teeth. I finally said to H___ with the whole thing and wiped it all off my computers. I will stick with Gmail where the whole thing is straightforward and comprehensible. Microsoft should stick to coding an leave the customer interface engineering to someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecebee View Post
    I have been a Microsoft user since its inception and I normally don't write comments that are just meant to be negative. I am making an exception here because I can think of nothing positive to say about signing up for a Microsoft Account. It is a garbled, confusing and confounding "mess."
    I have used a Microsft Account for years, its name may have changed but it still works perfectly for me.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are happy with it that's great. I lived with it for a long time and simply got fed up with it. I began when I think they called it a "Passport." Now it has become a social engineering mess. There are now chapters in books telling people how to maneuver through the accounts maze.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are now chapters in books telling people how to maneuver through the accounts maze.
    Which books? Which chapters? (Might help the OP.)

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't enter this conversation to convince you or anyone of anything. I simply said Microsoft has in my opinion made a total mess of the "Microsoft Account" program by not keeping a simple concept simple. Something they have gained fame for in many arenas. How hard should it be to have one account with one company to use all features of one basic product, namely Windows OS. You may choose to claim that the "live" elements are not part of the Windows OS but that is like saying IE is not part of Windows. It won't fly.

In any case, since it seems that some of you want directions to the reference I made about a book chapter I suggest you use the following link:http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...for-windo.html. That particular piece is written by Woody Leonhard who has also made many references to the subject in the paid version of the Windows Secrets newsletter. You can find further reading with an Amazon search if you choose to put a little effort into it.

You might also do a search on the following phrase or any simple variation, where you will find many people discussing their problems.
    Google search on : "managing the microsoft live accounts"

Thanks
    I didn't enter this conversation to convince you or anyone of anything.
    Welcome to the club where members don't indicate whom they are replying to. If everyone did name the member whom the reply was for, unless its to the thread starter, it would help clarify things.
    Jim.
    May you live as long as you want, and want to as long as you live.