Thread: TOC numbering

New Lounger
    Thanks

TOC numbering

Hi all,

I have a template with section breaks. The front page has a table, followed by a section break, followed by a TOC, followed by a section break.

I can't seem to work out how to update the page numbers of the TOC correctly. It seems to use the section breaks as pages, so that the first heading (which is on page 2) shows as page 4 in the TOC.

I've looked at some MVPs but they don't have a solution to this particular problem.

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me with this.

Thank you
    Jaquie

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you highlighted the TOC and pressed F9 to update it?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Of course.

As I said, the TOC is treating the section breaks as pages, forcing the second page to be page 4 in the TOC.

(I'm an advanced MS Office user and did the MOUS, now MOS, several years ago).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is your ToC on page 1 of section 1? And what section # is shown for the apparent second page? Your status bar can show the page # as used, the section #, and page X of Y; if it doesn't already, you can add them by right-clicking on it and choosing those elements.

The default TOC field code will use the page number as used -- i.e. as it will be displayed with the settings in the Page Number Format dialog.

If what you think should be page 2 is a section >2, you may have extra section breaks with different starting values set. Be sure to have the turned on so you can catch any extra section breaks that might be causing the problem. On the page numbered as page 4, check the "Start at" value in the Page Number Format dialog box. If it is set to continue from previous section, check the dialog box for any previous sections.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What page number appears on the page where your first heading occurs? And, if it says "2", how did you get it to show that number? If you used a calculated page field, that's the problem. The TOC does not recognize calculated page numbers. It does recognize formatted page numbers. To do that: with the cursor in the first section of the main part of your document (where the first heading is), go to Format page numbers and set the start at value to you preference.
    Pam Caswell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Of course! As soon as you said it I remembered. I must have been using the half of my brain that I call the stupid half!