Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Word 2010 Headers & Sections Oh My!

Word 2010. When the document was originally created page breaks were used to separate sections, manual edits were done on the headers.
    These documents are revised and updated on a yearly cycle, so dates in the headers and a revision number need to be changed, I'd like to change just the first page header and be confident that the following pages will have those changes automatically applied.
    Document format is Page 1 is a history page where a description of the change is recorded, page 2 is an Authorization page for signatures, page 3 and following pages are the descriptive portion of the document. So instead of a page break on page 1 and a page break on page 2 I replaced that with Section Break (Next Page) on pages 1 and 2. Changed the footer on pages following page 1, and tried to link to previous for the headers, curiously that works until you get to page 4 then that header reverts back to original info.
    This is driving me up the wall.
    Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    John

Thanks
    Look into the StyleRef field.

Each section can have up to three different headers and three different footers. In the latest versions of Word the link to previous settings for headers and footers are independent.

Look at which header/footer you are working on in the section. (Header/First Page Header/Even Header)
    Sections, Section Breaks, and Headers and Footers in Microsoft Word
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2013-05-14 at 10:08. Reason: Added link for Style Ref field
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Each section can potentially have header & footer definitions for a 1st page, odd page, and an even page. There are several different cases to consider: you can see the effect by creating a 3-page document and adding a header (or footer) to it, then zooming out enough to see all three pages (per my example.

1. By default, defining just a single header and/or footer will cause it to appear on the first and all other pages.
    ex1.JPG

2. If the Headers and Footers section of the Page Setup's Layout tab has the "Different odd and even" checkbox turned on, the header/footer on page 2 will disappear. Your initial header/footer will appear only on the first and (all) odd pages -- and you would need to define a new header/footer for the even pages.
    ex2.JPG

3. If the Headers and Footers section of the Page Setup's Layout tab has the "Different first page" checkbox turned on, the header/footer on the first page will disappear -- and your initial header/footer will only be displayed on the odd page -- and you would need to define a new header/footer for the first page.
    ex3.JPG

A common problem people face -- and I suspect it is the problem here -- is that early pages in many documents don't have more than one page, so any "link to previous" header/footer is unreliable at best.

Solution? Add a couple of temporary page breaks after your history and authorization content so you can see what headers/footers are already defined (and adjust them as necessary in case one of those pages does ever flow over to >1 page). Delete the temporary page breaks, and then, in the descriptive pages (your main content), unlink all of the header/footers from the preceding sections.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EricFletcher For This Useful Post:

jovialjohn (2013-05-14)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Eric,

I did as you suggested and inserted temporary page breaks. Then I copied the main content into one of those pages and deleted it from the remainder of the document. It seems to have done the job, but I really don't understand why it was doing what it was doing.

It works so I have accomplished something but the elusive why still bugs me.
    ------------------
    Turns out that that approach worked for a three page document, but when I started working on the next document, which is 4 pages, the same thing started happening in that now page four seems unconnected to the previous page headers. Arghh! Now I have no idea what to do to resolve this.
    Last edited by jovialjohn; 2013-05-14 at 14:40.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is your page 4 set after a section break? If so, be sure to reconnect the header/footers in it to your previous section -- assuming of course that you want them to flow through.

Be sure to check for extra section breaks (turn on ) because the header & footer details are saved with each section.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Firstly, look at how many sections are in the document. Do this by going to the end of the file and seeing what section you are in.

Each section can contain an odd, even and first page header and footer. Therefore it would only take a single section break to give you 4 different headers in a four page document.

If you post a sample document we can tell you where the problem is exactly but you should be able to find it yourself if you can find a section break in the doc.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

And so it continues...

OK, here is an example. Pages 1 through 3 are good but when there is a page 4 it doesn't carry through with the same header. Simplest way of showing this is to change the revision number or date in the header, page 1-3 fine, page 4 nope.
    Thanks for your help.
    John
    Attached Files Attached Files

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Word duplicates the content and setting of header/footers of the same—type first page to first page, main to main, different odd to different odd, and such. Your page 4 is the first time the main header has appeared in your document. Insert a page break anywhere in page 1 (which is also section 1) and in the header of the new second page, you'll see the main header, which Word labels "Header - Section 1 and well as the reason for the different first page, which is the different footer. The different footer content must have been deleted in later main section footers because it does not appear on page 4 (section 3, p 2).
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This is the story with that sample document.
    Page 1 = Section 1 using First Page Header
    Page 2 = Section 2 using First Page Header (linked to previous)
    Page 3 = Section 3, p1 using First Page Header (linked to previous)
    Page 4 = Section 3, p2 using main header (linked to previous)

The problem you have is that page 4 is actually linking to the main header of Section 2 but you can't see it since Section 2 only has one page. Linking to previous only works for the same type of header (eg First Page links to First Page, Main Header links to a Main Header).

Easiest fix is get rid of all section breaks - none are required in that doc. Then put Page Breaks in the same positions instead.

Change to draft view to see and delete the section breaks and remember to change the page setup of the document to have a different first page (you will lose this setting when you delete the section breaks since the last section has it turned off). You need a different first page for the footer, not the header. Since you will then have two different headers (a first page and then the main header) you will need to edit them both but that will fix 'em all
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2013-05-15)