3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

margin lines (Word 97)

Faint guidelines representing the margins can be turned on; I can't remember where. I don't want them, I want to help someone get rid of them. Does someone know where the setting is?
    Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: margin lines (Word 97)

Try going to the Tools menu, choosing Options, clicking on the View tab and deselecting Text Boundaries and see if that does it for you. This should only show the text boundaries in the Print Layout view.

Lee Morgan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Text boundaries is not an option on the View tab of Tools, Options. (I'm not sure which version 97 the person in question has, but mine is SR-1)

Thanks for your trouble.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi,

That option definitely should be there. I don't have 97 anymore so can't check this, but possibly the option is only available in Options > View if your document is in a particular view mode that supports viewing text boundaries.
    - if you change the view mode to Print View and then go to Tools > Options, is the Text Boundaries option still missing?

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bingo! I did not realize the options in Options changed with the view! Thank you so much.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

I did a quick experiment in 2000 SR-1 (I too don't have 97 here but I'll try it when I get home, altho I'm not sure now what SR I have there).

Indeed, the option is under Tools | Options | View tab and Print and Web Layout section (about 1/2 way down). However, the presence of the checkbox does not depend on what view you're in. If in Normal View, you can turn it on or off BUT you won't see anything. But if you turn it on in Normal View and switch to Print Layout View (formerly Page Layout View in 97, I think), you will see the boundaries.

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Fred,

Yes, that's right - in Word 2000 the option appears in all views (well at least in Normal and Print Layout as those are the two I checked<g>).

Just a little undocumented interface change between 97 and 2000. (I was relying on memory in my earlier post, as I remember being amazed when I first stumbled on that in Word 97 - thought I was going crazy until I realized what was going on!)

Gary

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary,

Just checked this computer that I'm writing from. It runs Word 97 SR2. Sure enough - "Text Boundaries" is an option in the Show section (which is at the top of the View tab) ONLY if you are PAGE Layout View or Online Layout View (introduced, from WOPR into Word 97 as I recall). It's also not there in Outline view.

Fred