5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Catching up on Internet Explorer vulnerabilities

PATCH WATCH

Catching up on Internet Explorer vulnerabilities

By Susan Bradley

Among the patches for Microsoft's browser is a fix for a newsworthy zero-day threat and there are still more patches needed. Plus: A special patch for Windows 8, more .NET fixes, and a clutch of smaller security updates for various MS productivity apps.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/catching-up-on-internet-explorer-vulnerabilities/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2013-05-15 at 19:03.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

PhotM (2013-05-20)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft also released a lot of non security updates that I did not cover. My policy is to wait until the follow up PW and cover them then.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

PhotM (2013-05-20)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Susan, can you review the catching up on kernal patches section and clarify your recommendation for 2840149 and 2813170? The text gives xxx0149 the all clear but its chart status is "wait". xxx3170 is not mentioned in the text but its chart status is "install". Thanks!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the following security updates on my windows 7 computers, which I cannot find on any of the "regularly updated problem patch charts", any guidance would be appreciated!

MS13-042 kb2553147
    MS12-030 kb2553371
    1MS2-046 kb2553447
    MS11-074 kb2566445
    MS12-076 kb2597126
    MS12-046 kb2598243

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by user ht View Post
    I have the following security updates on my windows 7 computers, which I cannot find on any of the "regularly updated problem patch charts", any guidance would be appreciated!

MS13-042 kb2553147
    MS12-030 kb2553371
    1MS2-046 kb2553447
    MS11-074 kb2566445
    MS12-076 kb2597126
    MS12-046 kb2598243
    The first, MS13-042, is only a few days old and was covered in Patch Watch of the latest newsletter (though not with that specific KB number).

The rest are Microsoft Office updates from about a year ago, and you can find references to them in Patch Watch if you search newsletter archives for just the number after KB (as Susan Bradley puts a space there).

The overall message is that they should all be installed, If they're still being offered after a year it's most unlikely that any of them will cause any problems, but may solve some.

Bruce

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

user ht (2013-05-21)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Windows Update Error 80070490 on KB 2808735 Security Update

Hi Susan,

This is an informative, just in case somebody else has a problem with this update. One other occurrence in WS that I found was in the XP forum that pertained to this KB but a different error, posted in April.

I have several tools from Microsoft that I ran over the last three days plus one from The Windows Club to correct this problem with Windows Update but none of them fixed what ever was stopping the installation(I am not sure I believe the Error's explanation). One from Microsoft of all that I could find, was one that has one installing Regcure Pro to fix this problem, which I defiantly did not want to do, and didn't!!!

What I ended up having to do was doing another run of a fantastic repair tool called Reimage PC Repair. I had just done a run a week ago and usually only do it about every 3-4 Months. I then ran Windows Update, Restored KB 2808735, installed it and it went right in with no further problems.

I hope that this helps somebody with either this KB or the error 80070490.

Regards

Crysta

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bruce, I have patch charts from day 1 and searched internally (ctrl-find) for MS# and kb# (without kb) with no success, so your "overall message" response MUCH appreciated. My Win7 computers are new (didn't want Win8), therefore the catch-up with old updates. Again, thanks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Microsoft Malware Protection Engine Gets an Important Silent Update

Hi Susan,

Do you have any further advice on the following? I have to assume that the SILENT UPDATE is in the Security Updates the we have in WAIT mode from last Patch Tuesday. As constantly recommended, I only run ONE Full Security Realtime Scanner, Security Essentials from MSFT. I also run heuristic realtime scanners; Winpatrol, Malwarebytes and EMET 4.0 Beta, just newly released. A production version is now expected at the end of May beginning of June. Reimage PC Repair also does a different kind of in depth scrutiny when it Reimages as well as an ongoing realtime scan in between PC Repairs. I am not sure how it does the realtime scan but I don't believe it is a Full Scanner or interferes with Security Essentials.

Microsoft Malware Protection Engine Gets an Important Silent Update

Microsoft Security Advisory (2846338)

I will be reading your Patch Column in Windows Secrets for your Great Advice,

Thank You and Best Regards

Crysta

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotM View Post
    Do you have any further advice on the following? I have to assume that the SILENT UPDATE is in the Security Updates the we have in WAIT mode from last Patch Tuesday. ...

Microsoft Malware Protection Engine Gets an Important Silent Update

Microsoft Security Advisory (2846338)
    I believe this silent update is delivered directly to your Microsoft Antivirus program (e.g. Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender etc.) along with updated definitions.

If you check at Help, About you will probably find as I did that the Engine version has already been updated to 1.1.9506.0:

Suggested Actions

Verify the update is installed

Customers should verify that the latest version of the Microsoft Malware Protection Engine and definition updates are being actively downloaded and installed for their Microsoft antimalware products.

For more information on how to verify the version number for the Microsoft Malware Protection Engine that your software is currently using, see the section, "Verifying Update Installation", in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 2510781.

For affected software, verify that the Microsoft Malware Protection Engine version is 1.1.9506.0 or later.

Bruce

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

PhotM (2013-05-23)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I believe this silent update is delivered directly to your Microsoft Antivirus program (e.g. Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender etc.) along with updated definitions.

If you check at Help, About you will probably find as I did that the Engine version has already been updated to 1.1.9506.0:

Bruce

Thank You Bruce. You seem to be right and I have the version you exclaim. Dates on the version in the About, would sure be nice since I don't imagine many track the version spread.

Crysta