New Lounger
    Thanks

Concern about remote activity

My home PC is directly connected to a router for Internet connection, and we have two laptops that connect via a wireless home network running from an additional, wireless router. A family member who is often up in the wee hours recently complained that the wireless connection was slowing to a near standstill overnight and that turning off the PC solved this.

Assuming the tie-up was not simply a legit updating process (noticed days prior to Patch Tues.), how can I find out if my computer is being used for remote malicious activity? MSE and Malwarebytes scans are all clean. Is there a free or affordable utility that will record activity so that I don't have to sit up all night watching? I will not be giving access to my PC to the person up all night, and would prefer not to have to remember to switch the PC firewall to block outgoing traffic overnight and back on in teh morning. Besides, which, if something bad is going on, I need to know and address it to the right authorities.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Do a pre-Windows scan of the computer in question (the one which, when you turn it off, the problem goes away). Sometimes a Windows scan doesn't detect the problem, because the malware has imbedded itself too deeply into Windows.

You could download and run Windows Defender Offline. Have a blank CD handy, and go to the following web site:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...fender-offline

Follow the prompts to create the CD.

Now reboot the computer in question with your CD in the drive, booting to CD.

Be patient, it may take a long time for the program to load and run.

My guess is that the family member who is often up in the wee hours is going to infected websites and downloading possibly infected stuff, certainly high-bandwidth stuff. (Sometimes those "wee hours" folks aren't as security conscious as they ought to be -- that's the way it is with the "wee hours" person in my family.)

Thanks
    Just curious, why do you have two routers? I believe it would be better to simplify things and have just the wireless router, not both routers.

If you need more ports, or if you need a set of ports in a different location than where the wireless router currently is, you can use a switch rather than the wired router. Plug the switch into one of the router ports, and you will then have some additional ports. If you do this, keep in mind that anyone plugged into the switch will have a slower connection than if they were plugged directly into the router.