New Lounger
    Thanks

TrueCrypt Alternative

I have used TrueCrypt for years without problems with Win XP and Excel. Now with Win8 Pro, cannot save a file after modifying, an error box appears; see image. TrueCrypt does not list Win 8 as a supported system, but gave it a try. Can someone recommend a file or container encryption program compatible with Windows 8?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    The TrueCrypt website says:

F u t u r e
    The following features are planned to be implemented in future versions:

Full support for Windows 8

Ability to encrypt Windows system partitions/drives on UEFI-based computers (GPT)

Command line options for volume creation (already implemented in Linux and Mac OS X versions)

'Raw' CD/DVD volumes

and more.
    But no timeline yet.
    Personally I would rather go back to Windows 7 than change from TrueCrypt. YMMV
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    AxCrypt encrypts files and folders, but there's no container concept.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilcar View Post
    I have used TrueCrypt for years without problems with Win XP and Excel. Now with Win8 Pro, cannot save a file after modifying, an error box appears; see image. TrueCrypt does not list Win 8 as a supported system, but gave it a try. Can someone recommend a file or container encryption program compatible with Windows 8?
    Hmmm. From my VERY limited experimentation I would be inclined to recommend TrueCrypt. I just tried a simple TrueCrypt 7.1a install for all users from my normal account (the one - administrator - account created when I installed Win 8 Pro) and it mounted an existing encrypted partition and successfully updated a text file in it (and the updates were still present after I rebooted). I also tried running a portable version of TrueCrypt 7.1a from the same account and that produced the same results (though I didn't bother rebooting to check again this time).

Just in case using a TrueCrypt container file (which I've never used) rather than a dedicated partition might work differently I made a quick test with that as well, and the results were again the same (including after a reboot).

If you run from a standard user account you may have to use 'run as administrator' with the installation .exe to allow the TrueCrypt driver to be installed (ditto when you run the portable TrueCrypt .exe). If that's not the problem (and you haven't simply run out of space in your container) then I suppose it's possible that Excel is doing something unusual that TrueCrypt doesn't yet deal with properly, though for something as straight-forward as saving a file that seems unlikely (unless Excel is doing a Unix-style 'rename temp file to create the new copy' operation, perhaps).

Edit: A few minutes' Googling for truecrypt "windows 8" brought up hits suggesting that TrueCrypt generally works on Win 8 save for whole disk encryption on GPT-partitioned disks (though I didn't find any instances of using it on single GPT data partitions, so that could be problematic as well). However, the comments in http://makingwindowseasy.com/2012/09...-in-windows-8/ indicated that some people had - and solved - write problems similar to yours (possibly after creating an encrypted partition in Win 8, since the one I tested had been created on an earlier system, or possibly due to running in a 64-bit environment, since my tests were run on 32-bit Win 8).
    Last edited by - bill; 2013-05-17 at 03:53.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using TrueCrypt in Windows 8 (on three different computers) for several months and have had no problems. I use it mainly to encrypt entire external hard drives (for backup purposes), but I also have a few encrypted files (which I mount as drives) on my hard drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Uninstalled TruCrypt and re-installed, ran all files in an administrator account. This has solved the problem.