Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Cascading permissions with NTFS shares

Hey kids,

I can't seem to get my brain in gear on this sticky permissions issue. First, the topology:

PC (a) sits with a connection to a network. It does not log in to the network; it logs in to the local workstation as a standard user.

PC (a) connects to a network share using a different user name and password than the one that is used for local logins. The share connects without problem.

The directory permissions assigned to this share are as follows:

[Everyone] Read [RX]
    [Domain Admins] Full Control
    [PC (a) User Account] Full Control

It appears that PC (a) has only read access to this share, although it maps a drive and connects using a username/password combination that has full access. Shouldn't it have full access since the username and password are specified? Or does the machine need to authenticate on the network in order to inherit this permission set?
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cascading permissions with NTFS shares

Check how permissions on server shared folder was set up. It looks like you connected to the share as Everyone, not as PC(a)UserAccount. Check also Computer Name on PC(a). It doesn't matter did you login on NetWare or not; how did you login on PC(a) - as Standard User, for example - matters only which permissions do you have on local drives.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cascading permissions with NTFS shares

Therein lies the problem. I can't check the permissions as the share is on a server owned by a client. When mapping the drive, I specified both the user name and password (NET USE S: SERVERSHARE password /USER:username). That *should* have given me access as the user they had configured.

They have since resolved the problem, but I wanted to make sure that the 'everyone' group's permissions did not supersede my user account's own permission set, since the machine that I was using (PC a) was a member of that group. I know that in Win2000 there is a deny privilege that takes precedence, but that doesn't exist in NT 4.0.
    -Mark