Star Lounger
    Thanks

SSD and SCSI cables

I'm running Win 7 in a tower which has a 40 GB SSD as its C drive. I'm going to replace it with a larger SSD. I know WS has run articles on this and will try to find them. Samsung's instruction manual (all in pictures!) shows an interesting technique of hooking the new drive to a laptop with some sort of SCSI - SATA cable, then using cloning software to copy the disc. I've got the software (Acronis), but not the cable. This seems intriguing, but I'm not sure what cable to look for (no names or numbers are given).

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pfeldmann View Post
    I'm running Win 7 in a tower which has a 40 GB SSD as its C drive. I'm going to replace it with a larger SSD. I know WS has run articles on this and will try to find them. Samsung's instruction manual (all in pictures!) shows an interesting technique of hooking the new drive to a laptop with some sort of SCSI - SATA cable, then using cloning software to copy the disc. I've got the software (Acronis), but not the cable. This seems intriguing, but I'm not sure what cable to look for (no names or numbers are given).

Can anyone help?
    Probably something like this:
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/2...TA-IDE_Adapter

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pfeldmann View Post

Can anyone help?
    Since you have a tower PC, you certainly have some available SATA ports on your motherboard, as well as an extra SATA power connection or two.

Power down the computer, open the case, and then plug in the second drive to an available SATA port and power connection.

Now, when you power the computer back on, you will have the old and new drives both available for use.

This will be a superior connection, because all drives are connected directly to the motherboard.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

pfeldmann (2013-05-17)

Thanks
    You will need both the data cable and a SATA power connector.
    Most reputable PC's will have an extra power connector available somewhere inside the case.
    So all you need is an additional SATA DATA cable. Many stores, from Radio Shack to Walmart
    carry those in stock.

Failing that, you should be able to pick one up at ANY local computer shop.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor

PS: The second drive does NOT have to be mounted inside the case for the cloning process.

I regularly give a whole new meaning to "External Hard Drives".

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all. My tower had a total of three hard drives before installing the new SSD. There was an extra SATA port available, but I had to find an adapter for the older style power cord in the case.

At any rate, everything now works, and I am using my old 40 GB SSD as a temp folder for program use.